Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I need help with one of my cockatiel's health 馃様
I have two cockatiels, one of my cockatiels has been sitting at the bottom of his cage the entire morning and I'm worried for him.
The night before last night there was an earthquake (in the middle of the night) and when I suddenly woke up I saw he had been flapping his wings in panic in his cage and this led him to lose many feathers (11 total).
His wings seemed a little irritated at the time and he kept moving them trying to adjust them, but he has done this before so I didn't think too much of it at the time. I had him sit with me for an hour after that incident before I put him back to sleep.
But now it's been a day since then and also he is sitting at the bottom of his cage. After losing all those feathers 2 nights ago, he also lost his flying feathers.

What can I do for him in this situation? I haven't found any trust worthy or capable bird veterinarian where I live (Ankara, Turkey) so for now I don't have any vet to take him too. Please help 馃檹
Wood Quill Fashion accessory Metal Cutlery

Bird Pet supply Beak Wood Gas

Registered
Lutino Cockatiel
Hello! First of all, your tiel is super cute! :love:

I've actually experienced a few night frights, some being really horrible.
My tiel now sleeps in a carrier, and I would totally recommend a room with not many sounds or windows. Tiels tend to get frightened from beams of light or sudden movement or sounds.
If you don't already, I would cover her cage/carrier with a blanket.
If your tiel is very prone to nightfrights, I would say a small carrier/cage should do good, rather than a large cage were they can easily get more injured.
In our "sleeping cage" try to keep perches/toys at minimum, from getting tangled to your bird.
Waffle has a dish bowl and rope perch, one small ball toy and that's it.
(*I also want to clarify, this is her sleeping cage, we have her flight cage for day times, but she mostly spends her day outside her cage).

Another thing, the bar spacing seems a bit big for your tiel, could you tell me what size it is? For tiels it's best to have 1/2" to 5/8".

If you tiel is at the bottom of his cage, that could be a serious sign of illness.
Measure his weight, and see whether or not its normal, or if it's going down. An average/healthy weight for a tiel is around 80-120 grams. Try to measure his weight every now and then.
If your tiels weight IS going down however, I would really recommend taking him to a vet.
Even if it means driving for a few hours, vets can be very important!
You mentioned there he lost his flight feathers, he may be a bit confused at first, why he cannot fly.
You should monitor him if he attempts to fly. They can land on awkward angles and break pin feathers.
If you notice your tiel is starting to stop eating, encourage the eating.
You may want to mix in a bit of seeds as last resort.

I hope this helped!
Hope your tiel is safe <3

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello! First of all, your tiel is super cute! :love:

I've actually experienced a few night frights, some being really horrible.
My tiel now sleeps in a carrier, and I would totally recommend a room with not many sounds or windows. Tiels tend to get frightened from beams of light or sudden movement or sounds.
If you don't already, I would cover her cage/carrier with a blanket.
If your tiel is very prone to nightfrights, I would say a small carrier/cage should do good, rather than a large cage were they can easily get more injured.
In our "sleeping cage" try to keep perches/toys at minimum, from getting tangled to your bird.
Waffle has a dish bowl and rope perch, one small ball toy and that's it.
(*I also want to clarify, this is her sleeping cage, we have her flight cage for day times, but she mostly spends her day outside her cage).

Another thing, the bar spacing seems a bit big for your tiel, could you tell me what size it is? For tiels it's best to have 1/2" to 5/8".

If you tiel is at the bottom of his cage, that could be a serious sign of illness.
Measure his weight, and see whether or not its normal, or if it's going down. An average/healthy weight for a tiel is around 80-120 grams. Try to measure his weight every now and then.
If your tiels weight IS going down however, I would really recommend taking him to a vet.
Even if it means driving for a few hours, vets can be very important!
You mentioned there he lost his flight feathers, he may be a bit confused at first, why he cannot fly.
You should monitor him if he attempts to fly. They can land on awkward angles and break pin feathers.
If you notice your tiel is starting to stop eating, encourage the eating.
You may want to mix in a bit of seeds as last resort.

I hope this helped!
Hope your tiel is safe <3
Thank you very much for your informative and kind response 馃槉馃檹
Night frights are a terrible thing, my cockatiel used to get many, but in the past year they had greatly decreased until this earthquake incident.
I always put a blanket over his cage at night, and I give them a room of their own (it's as quiet as I can manage in my home), but I should fix their sleeping set up. If it's not too much trouble could you show me your cockatiel's sleeping set up?

I didn't know that about the bar spacing. When he wakes up I'll measure it. I don't think it's bigger than that, because he can't squeeze his head through it, but I have to make sure. I have been wanting to get him a more suitable bigger cage.

He didn't really want to eat much or leave his cage today. I did hand feed him food, so he did eventually eat. I hope things are a bit better tomorrow.

Thank you again for your help, it means a lot to me, especially since where I live there aren't any real avian vets or an effective bird community, so all your advice is very valuable for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts