Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I jokingly call Phoenix my boyfriend - he's a clingy little velcro bird too. People think it's cute, but it's extremely difficult to live with sometimes.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
LOLOLOL! Yes, I had a bird like that, too. Cute, comical and frustrating rolled into one!

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Mine is a little different. Instead of that neat little shoulder landing, all I see is Jaid's yellow butt coming for my head. :wacko: Patrick Jane is a little more dignified than my boys

·
Registered
334 Posts
Awww .. this is what makes bird/cockatiel owning so different to say a cat or a dog. Where else do you see such attachment aha.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha. Glad to see I'm not the only one. It makes it tough when you work from home. Though most of my clients are now used to hearing Patrick going berserk in the background.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I call my boy a stalker because that's exactly what he is. I cannot do anything without him controlling all my movements and yelling if I leave the room and jumping on me when I come back. :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Too cute! :D

My first cockatiel was much the same. Coco was very clingy when he was younger but he's a little more independent now. :p

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Rocko does come straight to me if hes in trouble or hurt like just a while ago he was on top of his cage flapping his wings fast like he does every morning for exercise and then he flew on top of Rio's cage and got a bite on the foot and he flew down on the floor and then on to my bed to me to have a look at it he still hasnt left my bed yet and it happened to him nearly a hour ago

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Cinnamon would come running out of her nest box as soon as I got home to see me. Not for my hubby, only me. She never got over it lol.

Rocko does come straight to me if hes in trouble or hurt like just a while ago he was on top of his cage flapping his wings fast like he does every morning for exercise and then he flew on top of Rio's cage and got a bite on the foot and he flew down on the floor and then on to my bed to me to have a look at it he still hasnt left my bed yet and it happened to him nearly a hour ago
Ooo ouch! Hope his foot is OK. I have a friend with two lovies and two tiels and the female lovie has bitten and broken the tiels foot before. Maybe put a blanket over the top of Rio's cage. Not one that covers the whole cage, just the top, so the tiels can land there safely without getting nipped. Lovies are super territorial about their homes.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Cinnamon would come running out of her nest box as soon as I got home to see me. Not for my hubby, only me. She never got over it lol.

Ooo ouch! Hope his foot is OK. I have a friend with two lovies and two tiels and the female lovie has bitten and broken the tiels foot before. Maybe put a blanket over the top of Rio's cage. Not one that covers the whole cage, just the top, so the tiels can land there safely without getting nipped. Lovies are super territorial about their homes.
Yeah his foot is ok he didnt leave my bed until I brought him and Loki for a shower lol he was holding it up a little after it happened.Rio is very territorial of his cage a few days ago Rocko and Loki went in and was eating his food and Rio didnt hurt any of them instead he locked them in his cage and if they tried to leave he would climb down off his perch to tell them to stay in so I had to get the tiels out because Rio would just keep them as his prisoners lol Rio never bothers Loki but does chase Rocko sometimes.Rio is now singing himself asleep.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
...not to threadjack, but how many times does Rocko have to get hurt by another bird before you take people's advice about not letting different species interact? You clearly love him, so please protect him. You've been very lucky so far, but that's going to run out if you don't make changes.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
...not to threadjack, but how many times does Rocko have to get hurt by another bird before you take people's advice about not letting different species interact? You clearly love him, so please protect him. You've been very lucky so far, but that's going to run out if you don't make changes.
The fact that you dont take the time to read my posts is why I snap at you and im not gonna waste my time with you anymore did I let them interact no they live in the same room and he landed on Rio's cage some birds are territorial of their cages.And how many times was Rocko hurt by another bird only once and its ok for different species to interact if they get along.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Allowing Rocko to have access to the top of Rio's cage IS letting them interact. Rocko doesn't know that Rio will be territorial if he lands there. It's your job to prevent that situation from occurring.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Allowing Rocko to have access to the top of Rio's cage IS letting them interact. Rocko doesn't know that Rio will be territorial if he lands there. It's your job to prevent that situation from occurring.
Its not interaction you clearly dont know the meaning of interaction its actually being together and yes they do interact when out of the cage.And I cant keep a blanket on his cage thats just unfair on him.Its Rockos first time going on Rio's cage anyway so its not like it happens all the time and at the end of the day their my birds my responsibility so dont me worrying about them because im a good owner and would rather spend my time taking care of them than having a debate with you on how I should raise my birds.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
And just to let you know many members here let different species interact and many members on other forums.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I have a Green Cheek Conure that is roughly the size of a cockatiel. She is very sweet with people and is an absolute love, but she does not get along with most other birds. Her previous owners told me about this, and I've observed it myself.

Since I have that knowledge, she is not allowed to be out of her cage with the other birds without direct supervision. Even with supervision, she has nipped at other birds and plucked feathers from them before we were able to intervene.

We have a playstand that covers the entire top of her cage so no birdie feet can get broken or bitten off when they land on her cage. If the cage did not have a playstand that covered the entire top, I would cut plexiglass to fit her cage top so that my birds would be safe if they decided to land there.

I love my birds dearly, and part of being a responsible bird owner is taking measures to keep them all safe.

You really should think about how much you value your birds' lives and wellbeings, and make choices accordingly. It would not cost a lot to cover Rio's cagetop with plexiglass and it would be very fair for him because it doesn't inhibit his view and will not darken his cage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts