Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new here! I've had tiels for several years. All boys save one. She has her own cage and the boys share a huge cage and have been together for about 3 years without any problems at all.

I noticed yesterday that one of my boys (~6years old) is plucked on his underbelly and under his wings. I separated him immediately and put him in a big pet carrier with towels and food etc. I'm watching him but all I see him doing is preening, no plucking.

I called an avian vet (I will take him tomorrow or the next day), I wanted to watch him today away from the others. He's acting normal. He has been singing, desperately wants out. She said that it was probably someone plucking him or too eagerly "helping" but I'm not sure of that since it's located on his underbelly and under his wings. It's really hard to see too unless you're looking for it but he looks awful under there. I'm just so upset.

So I know about giardia and I know that the vet tests can be hit or miss. All his poos have been normal but I'm not sure if giardia would cause it to be running all the time or not.

What else could be causing this? I haven't changed the routine, haven't added anything new at all (products or otherwise).

What could I do to soothe him other than the apple cider vinegar and nice warm showers? Anything I could feed him to help regrowth?

If the vet rules out giardia, I'm assuming I'll have to keep him separated from the others permanently?

·
Registered
670 Posts
could he be bored ? i ahe a soother here if you would like me to send it to you, they groom that and it helps them stop pluking,

pm me your adress and i will send it to you,

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I would give him extra protein and sleep (10-12 hours) will hopefully help him to regrow his feathers. I would keep him separate in case someone is plucking him and keep an eye on the others to make sure that if there was a plucker he does not start to pluck someone else. Giving them lots of toys to preen and shred might be a good idea as well. Good luck and let us know how the avian vet visit goes :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I took Dixie to the vet this afternoon. She did a test but it came back negative for giardia which doesn't mean anything.

She said she didn't see any evidence of mites and she doesn't think that one of the others is doing this to him because it's under his wings and under his belly.

She still gave him some antibiotics that he needs to take for 7-10 days and see how he does. She said to watch and see if he plucks more (which I have only seen one feather in the carrier and it was a down feather) and to see if when the feathers grow back, if he will leave them alone.

He weighed 103g.

She said he could rejoin the flock in a few days so he'll be under observation for a few more days. She was not worried about contagion.

I'm definitely going to buy a bunch more toys and rearrange the flight cage next week when we get paid.

So everything is well and I hope he'll stop and get to normal.

Elijah: I have something that he can preen. I took out all my extra toys and gave him a few.

·
Registered
670 Posts
i am glad you got it sorted,

thats fine no worries i justremeber reading it on the box , maybe he was just over preening to make himself look nice lol,

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
The antibiotics should definitely help him out there, so that's good.

Hope he'll be all better soon so he can join the flock again. :)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am sure he will be fine if the vet can't find anything wrong with him. The antibiotics will definitely help him with the feather regrowth. :D I bet he has been missing the other boys, he will be glad to be back with them. :) Good Luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, hopefully he doesn't have giardia because if he does he can pass it onto the other birds (or one of the other birds could be a carrier and have passed it onto him).

Keeping my fingers crossed that the antibiotics help him with whatever is causing him to pluck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are not going to believe this.

My dog vet called this evening. I took my newest dog (had her for 2 months) for her boosters 2 weeks ago and he called to tell me that they found something in her fecal....giardia. So I need to get anti biotics for both my dogs tomorrow.

I'm going to call the bird vet. She said that to be conclusive, you would preserve about 5 days worth of poops and have it tested. I'm going to call her tomorrow and tell her.

Although, I always wash my hands after handling poo from the dogs.

Is that the only way you can get giardia from a dog? I mean if they lick you or anything, could you get it then?

This is so unreal.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Oh dear. I hope things get better. :(

Can people get Giardia from dogs?
Giardia can infect humans. The clinical signs are similar to those reported for dogs. We do not know the significance companion animals serve as a source of infection for humans. Until it has been proven otherwise, we should assume that Giardia can be transmitted from one animal to another and from other animals to humans.

Can Giardia of dogs infect people?
This is another unknown. There are many species of Giardia, and experts do not know if these species infect only specific hosts. Sources of some human infections have possibly been linked to beavers, other wild animals, and domestic animals. Until we know otherwise, it would be wise to consider infected animals capable of transmitting Giardia to humans.

You may have heard about Giardia outbreaks occurring in humans due to drinking contaminated water. Contamination of urban water supplies with Giardia is usually attributed to (human) sewage effluents. In rural settings, beavers most often get the blame for contaminating lakes and streams. Giardia outbreaks have also occurred in day care centers fueled by the less than optimal hygienic practices of children.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If your dogs have got it, you would expect that to be the problem with your birds.
I hope you can get it all sorted! :) Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.