Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a pair of lutino tiels , they layed 3 eggs out of which 2 hatched [15 and 13 day chicks] and r in the nest box ,but still the pair is currently matting !! idk! will they abandon the chicks for the new ones ? or will there be any other problem?
fyi: she hasn't layed eggs yet (i doubt she might in the week) and both the parents are still feeding them
what i fear is that...they might abandon the chicks and i never hand feed the little..
plz help!!

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
This is common with cockatiels. They will normally keep on taking care of the older chicks, but you will need to stop them from starting a third clutch a few weeks from now when the babies from the second clutch are getting close to fledging age. Cockatiels are opportunistic breeders who will keep going as long as you let them, but it's not healthy for them to have more than two clutches a year. Here's some information on hormone control: Little Feathered Buddies hormone control There's a paragraph on stopping a breeding pair from laying more eggs near the end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thankyou for your reply ... 😇😇. and also thanks for the link. the parents are feeding them well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts