Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 days before nye my Spiky was looking fine, he was perching on my shoulders wanting pets and cuddles and after that I had to leave for a week and a half. He stays at my moms place and she started showing me vids of him that weren’t pleasant to see. He wasn’t breathing properly and looked like he choked on a pellet. My mom took him to the only vet we have here and he is not an avian vet, we’re a really small island. He recommended Enroflaxin as his initial thinking was a bacterial infection. Again as this vet is not an avian vet he gave my mom a random odd dosage that don’t had any effect as Spiky was starting to get worse. I come back and check on him and decided to transport him to the other side of the country to the best vet that is knowledgeable in birds, he gave me amphotericine B 0.2ml in 200ml water for 10 days, treatment has been going for 7 days and no sign of improvement either. One of his wings is paraysed, he cannot breathe through his nose, hes wheezing and makes a clicking sound, can’t fly and started sleeping at the bottom of the cage. He told me if treatment isn’t working switch over to enroflaxin for 8 days. I am doing that now with proper dosage of 1ml for 200ml water. The vet said bacterial infections will see improvement in 1-2 days while fungal takes way more, and recommended to put him in a steamy bathroom, however we have crap housong and my bathroom has mold on the ceiling so I don’t think its safe to do that.
I feel utterly useless and I’m trying my best, I’ve been giving him vitamins alongside the medication as well as cutting off al seeds and giving him vitamin A rich veggies it’s breaking my heart seeing him like this. I am considering putting him down to end his misery. Vet said there’s nothing else to do if none of the medications work.
Spiky has been around for 7 years and I don’t want to let him go I love him so much and it’s truly killing me inside seeing him like this

·
Registered
936 Posts
Don't cut off the food he is used to - he needs to eat! Veggies alone are not sufficient. I give my birds extra millet spray when they are not well because they tend to lose weight quickly when sick. The medications can make them less hungry or unwilling to eat enough - give him millet or whatever his favorite foods are. Don't attempt a big diet change when a bird is ill. Keep him warm but not directly in front of a heat lamp or he will overheat - a warm room is best. Warmth is good for sick birds but not too much.
Sorry for your situation - I know how sad this is when a loved one is sick. Don't give up on him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't cut off the food he is used to - he needs to eat! Veggies alone are not sufficient. I give my birds extra millet spray when they are not well because they tend to lose weight quickly when sick. The medications can make them less hungry or unwilling to eat enough - give him millet or whatever his favorite foods are. Don't attempt a big diet change when a bird is ill. Keep him warm but not directly in front of a heat lamp or he will overheat - a warm room is best. Warmth is good for sick birds but not too much.
Sorry for your situation - I know how sad this is when a loved one is sick. Don't give up on him.
Oh no i meant he gets pellets and veggies but no seeds as my mom only fed him seeds

·
Registered
936 Posts
Oh no i meant he gets pellets and veggies but no seeds as my mom only fed him seeds
It would be ok to mix seeds and pellets so he can pick what he feels like eating. Birds lose weight fast when sick and the reduced eating weakens them further. That's why I offer plenty of millet spray in addition to anything else they like hoping they will eat enough, even some sunflower which I would otherwise never give them since it's fatty.

Reactions: Melissasueart1968

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be ok to mix seeds and pellets so he can pick what he feels like eating. Birds lose weight fast when sick and the reduced eating weakens them further. That's why I offer plenty of millet spray in addition to anything else they like hoping they will eat enough, even some sunflower which I would otherwise never give them since it's fatty.
i gave him a millet spray and he had some, luckily hes drinking and eating a lot and resting, his poop is big too so there is a glimmer of hope, i just wish my vet did a culture swab test so we know whether its fungal or bacterial because i could be wasting time giving him enrofloxacin (can’t spell it).

·
Registered
936 Posts
i gave him a millet spray and he had some, luckily hes drinking and eating a lot and resting, his poop is big too so there is a glimmer of hope, i just wish my vet did a culture swab test so we know whether its fungal or bacterial because i could be wasting time giving him enrofloxacin (can’t spell it).
You did spell it correctly :) - it's generally referred to by the brand name Baytril which is a name that's probably better known to more people. Sometimes an antifungal is prescribed with an antibiotic to combat the overgrowth of fungi in the gut caused by the antibiotic's effect of killing off some desirable types of bacteria that normally reside there. If you can get some Bene-bac or a comparable probiotic you can help sustain 'good bacteria' levels in his digestive system. Side effects of Baytril can include diarrhea and loss of appetite and the probiotic can improve digestion - just don't give too much (search the archives on this site for suggestions). That's in addition to the effects of the illness, so it's important that he continues to eat and drink a lot like he has been, and rest.

I know you are having a hard time going through this with him but you are his only chance to survive. You know what you are doing and it will certainly have been worth it when you see him improving. Because he's 'drinking and eating a lot and resting, his poop is big too', and you are giving him excellent care, I'm hopeful for Spiky🧡 (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will start giving him one drop of baytril rather than diluted it with water, ive been doing extensive research and looking at forums and most people say its not as effective with water. Its unfortunate that the best vet in this country did not tell me these things and i had to look online. I hope he will get better and finally see some improvement this way. I will do for 8 days as the vet recommended and should he heals will put him straight on probiotics

·
Registered
936 Posts
Giving drops directly into the mouth is better than adding meds to drinking water because you have control of the timing and better control of the amount administered, even though the bird might struggle a bit. Meds in the water requires broader assumptions about drinking that are bound to be less accurate.

Does your Baytril (enrofloxicin) bottle show the strength of the solution?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Giving drops directly into the mouth is better than adding meds to drinking water because you have control of the timing and better control of the amount administered, even though the bird might struggle a bit. Meds in the water requires broader assumptions about drinking that are bound to be less accurate.

Does your Baytril (enrofloxicin) bottle show the strength of the solution?
It says 100mg

·
Registered
936 Posts
That's also called a 10% solution of enrofloxacin. Your one drop per day dose should be given about the same time each day. It's a strong solution so don't exceed one drop. Presumably your vet prescribed the one drop dose per day and it seems to be about the same amount as what I've used for my sick birds (per vet).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's also called a 10% solution of enrofloxacin. Your one drop per day dose should be given about the same time each day. It's a strong solution so don't exceed one drop. Presumably your vet prescribed the one drop dose per day and it seems to be about the same amount as what I've used for my sick birds (per vet).
The vet said 1ml in 200ml of water, ive been doing that but i saw no results, with many people suggesting to cease this method of dilution and stick with a drop a day of pure medicine. The vet also suggested this in case the dilution method doesn’t work. I did not know about it being same time everyday thank you. I’ve also read that baytril kills good bacteria so priobiotics are a necessity which I’ll buy some on monday, are they ok to use at same time as baytril? I have read apple cider vinegar in his water helps prevent him from getting a yeast infection. I really wish i was informed :( if i were to continue doing as my vet said he would slowly be dying
I’m sorry for so many questions

·
Registered
936 Posts
The vet said 1ml in 200ml of water, ive been doing that but i saw no results, with many people suggesting to cease this method of dilution and stick with a drop a day of pure medicine. The vet also suggested this in case the dilution method doesn’t work. I did not know about it being same time everyday thank you. I’ve also read that baytril kills good bacteria so priobiotics are a necessity which I’ll buy some on monday, are they ok to use at same time as baytril? I have read apple cider vinegar in his water helps prevent him from getting a yeast infection. I really wish i was informed :( if i were to continue doing as my vet said he would slowly be dying
I’m sorry for so many questions
There are about 20 drops in a ml. Since each ml of Baytril solution you have has 100 mg Baytril, then 100mg/20 drops = 5mg enrofloxacin per drop. Typical Baytril dosing is about 10-30mg twice daily per 1000mg of bird. Scaling down to an 80g bird (your bird may vary) gives about .8-2.4mg Baytril twice a day. That means 1.6-4.8mg per day of Baytril. Your single drop of the solution you have has about 5mg Baytril so it is at the higher end of the treatment range but looks ok. He probably won't take in the whole drop (the stuff tastes nasty) so a little will be discarded which is to be expected.

[Note: I've usually split the Baytril dosage into two 12 hour doses based on the manufacturer's recommendations to maintain more consistent levels of antibiotic in the blood, but a single larger dose means less handling and presumably less overall stress for the bird. You also can't split a single drop into two half drops so you'd have to dilute the solution you have to get more liquid to work with. I wouldn't suggest it - just stay with the one drop of 100mg/ml solution once a day (around the same time each day). ]

Questions are good :) I don't mind at all. I should add that I'm not a vet and anything I share here is not meant to be a substitute for a vet's advice. When it comes to Baytril dosing I have seen lots of conflicting information and errors on the internet, including prescriptions for high dosages that were for a 1000g bird when the patient was an 80g cockatiel!
Anyway... all this to say the one drop a day of enrofloxacin solution looks ok for Spiky.
And putting a small amount apple cider vinegar in his water sounds good as long as it's not too much (get ideas from the archives). Hope he gets better soon!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are about 20 drops in a ml. Since each ml of Baytril solution you have has 100 mg Baytril, then 100mg/20 drops = 5mg enrofloxacin per drop. Typical Baytril dosing is about 10-30mg twice daily per 1000mg of bird. Scaling down to an 80g bird (your bird may vary) gives about .8-2.4mg Baytril twice a day. That means 1.6-4.8mg per day of Baytril. Your single drop of the solution you have has about 5mg Baytril so it is at the higher end of the treatment range but looks ok. He probably won't take in the whole drop (the stuff tastes nasty) so a little will be discarded which is to be expected.

[Note: I've usually split the Baytril dosage into two 12 hour doses based on the manufacturer's recommendations to maintain more consistent levels of antibiotic in the blood, but a single larger dose means less handling and presumably less overall stress for the bird. You also can't split a single drop into two half drops so you'd have to dilute the solution you have to get more liquid to work with. I wouldn't suggest it - just stay with the one drop of 100mg/ml solution once a day (around the same time each day). ]

Questions are good :) I don't mind at all. I should add that I'm not a vet and anything I share here is not meant to be a substitute for a vet's advice. When it comes to Baytril dosing I have seen lots of conflicting information and errors on the internet, including prescriptions for high dosages that were for a 1000g bird when the patient was an 80g cockatiel!
Anyway... all this to say the one drop a day of enrofloxacin solution looks ok for Spiky.
And putting a small amount apple cider vinegar in his water sounds good as long as it's not too much (get ideas from the archives). Hope he gets better soon!
Thank you so much for this information! Really helpful to note. I really hope he gets better fast since the dosing is high I don’t want to prolong it for more than 8 days. Fingers crossed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts