Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,Today I took my cockatiels to the vet....As my male cockatiel was sneazing and coughing yesterday....And female feels itchy....The cage and everything is clean...The vet told me it might a seasonal change...So when I was taking my cockatiels...We entered the car..And for the First time in history my male cockatiel was attacking female...The attacks didnt seem aggressive but were continous...Than my male cockatiel started itching himself as soon as we entered the car..it may or may not be due to the sanitization of car...The whole time he was attacking and itching...we reached to the clinic and he stopped attacking the female...The doctor checked them up...Massaged the cockatiels to relieve itch and it was quite well they were not itching anymore....We reached home...and at night my male again attacks my female cockatiel...didn't seem aggressive again...no feather plucked and nothing...what I personally think is he might be thinking we are gonna leave him after sometime or he was jealous as we never took our female cockatiel with us in a ride....He doesn't seem aggressive for mating as he never gets aggresive at that time he just chirps and makes that heart shape and the female ignores and he stops after a while....What we always saw was the female hissing and peaking the male when he comes very close to her....I think today might have been a bore day for him. Pls tell me what is going on. I am not a new cockatiel person...And yes they were never separated and have been very good to each other till today...He seems to want her to speak as he always speaks in her ear The word (Cuckoo) He always tries to make her speak...But she is a female and less vocal...Pls Help

·
Banned
56 Posts
It's good that the itching has stopped but what did the vet say it was ?
In and around mating season, hormones can make both males & females react in surprising & totally different ways, than normal. If they've been getting on for some time previously, they may have just had a little fall out, but keep an eye on them, to make sure it doesn't get out of control. If it starts to become bad, separate them & try supervised timed together for a while, but don't isolate either one completely, as that could makes things worse. My boy tends to whistle a lovely little tune into my girls ear, but he only does that when next to her too, so maybe he thinks he's isn't being heard. If she is spurning his advances for mating, this could also be irritating him and making him more aggressive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.