Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cockatiel, who turned one years old about two months ago, has been rufled up all day. Is he sick?? He might be! Most of you will tell me to do a check-up on the vet, but the problem is that vets here in Greece are super unsanitary and if I go for a checkup my cockatiel is bound to get something worse. Moreover, there aren't a lot of aviary nurseries and the ones that do exist, cost a lot and are likely far away. Again, they are unsanitary.

His poop is normal, although I haven't checked up on his weight becuase I don't have the equipment necessary (I am trying to get it, don't worry)
Also I am in the process of changing his diet. Could something in the food ticked him off? Just saying, I washed the food I give him THREE TIMES in BOILING water that would give you 2nd degree burns if you got it on you, two times before chopping and three times after chopping. So far I have tried giving him cucumber, carrot and apple. I literally just started the process, today. I removed the food two hours after. He was fluffy before giving him food. What do I do???
Bird Eye Parrot Beak Cockatoo

Bird Vertebrate Light Bird supply Pet supply

Bird Cockatiel Beak Feather Fawn

What can I do?? Even after flying a bunch, he is fluffed up as if he is preening himself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What’s the air temp? They will fluff if chilly. My bird goes for the grains. Millet, oats, rice cooked of course, walnuts, peanuts and he adores my pancakes. Mine will eat vegetables like lettuce and spinach but prefers the grain and I think it’s more natural to what they eat in the wild.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What’s the air temp? They will fluff if chilly. My bird goes for the grains. Millet, oats, rice cooked of course, walnuts, peanuts and he adores my pancakes. Mine will eat vegetables like lettuce and spinach but prefers the grain and I think it’s more natural to what they eat in the wild.
The air temperature, although I don't know specifics was not so warm but also not chilly. Also mine avoids vegetables and fruits like the plague. Any tips on how to remove the moisture out of vegetables?

·
Registered
63 Posts
My bird glides in for the big feed. If yours is anything like mine he knows when your eating. Mine will fly right over and check out what’s on the menu, Lima beens, toast all get devoured no problems. I would venture a guess that moisture removal is really unnecessary. Foods like cooked millet, oatmeal, cornmeal is all A-OK! Uncooked rice whole grain rice is a big favorite.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would recommend checking out the responses about the temperature, but also if you are changing the diet try to do it slowly and gradually to minimize stress. Is your bird being aggressive at all because they might be trying to intimidate you if they are fluffing up and hissing or biting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts