Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He was out of his cage yesterday completely normal. I keep my fan off whenever I feel like it might be unsafe, but when he is just sitting on his cage outside the fan is usually on because he never goes anywhere when he is sitting on his cage. But yesterday he probably got scared of my big black luggage bag as I was moving it and started flying. I saw him go up as the fan was running. I hoped he won't go further upwards, but he went right there and got hit by the running fan and fell on the bed. I went running to check if he is fine. There was no bleeding at all, but he was very scared, shocked and wasn't moving much. I tried to make him comfortable but then I read online that you should leave the bird alone at this time. So I put him back in the cage to make him feel safe. I checked on him all day yesterday, I got up multiple times at night. In the morning, I found him sitting at the bottom of the cage which is the last thing I want to see(that's how my female birdie passed away) and also it's not a good sign. So I put him back up. He is a very active bird. He keep singing all the time. He doesn't stay still. But since the incident, his eyes are mostly closed, fluffy, not eating or drinking, not moving, not making any noises. I can't figure out if he is in shock or he has gotten sick. I tried to feed him some water and calcium, not much because I don't want to mishandle him or force him into anything right now. There's no avian vet around me and also there's lockdown where I live, so can't go out anyway. I am trying to make him feel comfortable. Also leaving him alone for sometime to rest without me being there. What should I do? How long will he be like this and not act normal?

·
Registered
135 Posts
He was out of his cage yesterday completely normal. I keep my fan off whenever I feel like it might be unsafe, but when he is just sitting on his cage outside the fan is usually on because he never goes anywhere when he is sitting on his cage. But yesterday he probably got scared of my big black luggage bag as I was moving it and started flying. I saw him go up as the fan was running. I hoped he won't go further upwards, but he went right there and got hit by the running fan and fell on the bed. I went running to check if he is fine. There was no bleeding at all, but he was very scared, shocked and wasn't moving much. I tried to make him comfortable but then I read online that you should leave the bird alone at this time. So I put him back in the cage to make him feel safe. I checked on him all day yesterday, I got up multiple times at night. In the morning, I found him sitting at the bottom of the cage which is the last thing I want to see(that's how my female birdie passed away) and also it's not a good sign. So I put him back up. He is a very active bird. He keep singing all the time. He doesn't stay still. But since the incident, his eyes are mostly closed, fluffy, not eating or drinking, not moving, not making any noises. I can't figure out if he is in shock or he has gotten sick. I tried to feed him some water and calcium, not much because I don't want to mishandle him or force him into anything right now. There's no avian vet around me and also there's lockdown where I live, so can't go out anyway. I am trying to make him feel comfortable. Also leaving him alone for sometime to rest without me being there. What should I do? How long will he be like this and not act normal?
I’m sorry, but I don’t think he’s going to make it especially if you can’t take him to the vet. But please just try to make sure he eats and drinks water.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m sorry, but I don’t think he’s going to make it especially if you can’t take him to the vet. But please just try to make sure he eats and drinks water.
He's not getting down from his perch to eat or drink anything. He is just sleeping at the same spot. When I try to hand feed him, he doesn't open his beak and turn his head away.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well he might seem jst fine but there are high chances hes got a internal injury
Yeah I think so too. There must be. It was a hard hit. That plus the shock. His actions that used to be super fast are slow. He turn his head for preening then he stops without reaching the wings. I'm keeping a watch on him all day and I just saw him get down to have food at night after going back and forth. I'm guessing that's a good sign. I thought he will starve himself to death.

·
Registered
135 Posts
He's not getting down from his perch to eat or drink anything. He is just sleeping at the same spot. When I try to hand feed him, he doesn't open his beak and turn his head away.
Try putting him on a dark surface and put light seeds on them? This is a way I’ve gotten my sick bird to eat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How’s the birdy?
Hey! Thanks for asking. He looks much energized now, doesn't look weak anymore. He is still sleepy but is eating and drinking normally. I am mixing little calcium and vitamin D powder in his water. He has started talking but is not singing any songs that he used to.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey! Thanks for asking. He looks much energized now, doesn't look weak anymore. He is still sleepy but is eating and drinking normally. I am mixing little calcium and vitamin D powder in his water. He has started talking but is not singing any songs that he used to.
How did you get him to eat?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How did you get him to eat?
The initial 2 days were crucial. I was feeling like I am going to lose him. I didn't want to force him but I just wanted him to have something so I took him out and handfeed him by dropper twice a day. All liquid diet(calcium, green juice, vitamins). By third day he started getting down to eat and drink once at night before bedtime. And then next day he started eating drinking normally multiple times a day. I guess when he got past first 2 days, he started feeling better.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The initial 2 days were crucial. I was feeling like I am going to lose him. I didn't want to force him but I just wanted him to have something so I took him out and handfeed him by dropper twice a day. All liquid diet(calcium, green juice, vitamins). By third day he started getting down to eat and drink once at night before bedtime. And then next day he started eating drinking normally multiple times a day. I guess when he got past first 2 days, he started feeling better.
Try giving him snacks and things he loves. I’m glad he’s eating normally now!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Try giving him snacks and things he loves. I’m glad he’s eating normally now!
Yeah. Also, don't know if it's relevant or not but I changed the placement of his food and water so he has to take lesser steps to reach. And I hung the leafy greens on the side of perch where he sits so he can chew on that without any effort. At first, he didn't have much energy so he used to go close and then back off but then later he started cutting and chewing on greens gradually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts