Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

My cockatieal screams constantly throughout the day please help!

916 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Sashi 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, good afternoon.

I have a problem with one of the cockatiels I have. He is a male of approximately 3 years old, unfortunately he has gotten into the habit of screaming constantly, he can scream for many hours straight, from the moment I uncover his cage in the morning, around 8:30 am and screams constantly trought out the day until almost the sunset, he only goes quiet when the light is out about 6:30pm.

I must clarify that he is not the only bird I have, I also have a female who is approximately two years old and who is always with him.
I have tried to break this habit of screaming in different ways, mainly ignoring him, moving his toys around the cage, giving him threats that he likes and singing to him when he starts screaming and he is not able to see me, but nothing has worked, the only way he doesn't scream is to have him on my shoulder or have him somewhere where he is able to see me constantly.

I must also add that it is not a very playful bird, he has many toys but it does not like to play with them very much, the female does play a lot, but he hardly likes it, he does not like things that he doesn't know about, and he gets sacred pretty easily with new toys or objects. What he really likes is that I have him on my shoulder or reciving cuddles and scritches or if I use a blanket and move it around, otherwise he does not play much.

I have also chek him in case he had any wound that caused him pain but he has nothing really that causes discomfort, he is in perfect condition.

He only stays quiet when I am near the cage or if I observe him from afar, the problem is that I cannot put him alone in a room where he cannot see me, because I live in a small apartment and the cage is located in the living room. which is the only place that has a wide window and from there he has access to the entire apartment, I mean that from there he can see everything, he sees us when we go from one place to the other inside the appartment and when I leave my room to go to The kitchen for example (I'm working from home atm), I cannot leave it isolated because the other rooms in the apartment do not have windows and those would be places that he would not enjoy being, he likes watching trought the window.

I have to add that he never gets locked in his cage, he always has the cage door open so he can come and go as he pleaces, only when he is misbehaving and when is bed time I put a blanket over the cage so he can't go out.

This has been happening for about a year, it happened before the mandatory quarantine began, but since we all went out to work he dind't yelled that much, but now that we are all at home it is something that has become a big problem because he has started to scream more.

Apart from this he is a pretty well behaved bird, he is no agressive, he never bites, he just want to be with us all the time

Please, if someone has any recommendations, they would help me a lot, he is an important member of our family and I would really love to see him calm and
comfortable too and without having to be screaming as if he were in danger all the time, and clearly we also wish we could have a more pleasant atmosphere in our home.

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for my english I hope this is clear enough for you to understand! <3

See less See more
#2 ·
Male cockatiel is very noisy especially if he is not bonded to a female. I have a young male will chirp from morning to evening. My feeling your situation is different. Your boy is bonded to you, if he could not see you he will scream. I have a Cockatoo, who will follow me everywhere when I am at home. If he can't see me, he will scream, which is very loud. And he stays with me, he is very quiet... I have to tolerate him being around me all time.

#3 ·
That could be it! but he does the sme when he doesn't have his friend with him, I mean the female cockatiel, if he is unable to see her he starts screaming like crazy, so I have to take them both all the time, I can't separated them because they start screming to each other :(

#4 · (Edited)
Your bird is very closely bonded with you, in most cases, I'd say its impossible to stop his screaming, as cockatiels love human contact, especially if they bonded to you, if he's screaming when you leave, its mainly him saying "WHERE ARE YOU, I CAN'T SEE YOU, I WANT TO BE WITH YOU", I suggest getting some sort of stand in the other rooms with a toy or two so when you go somewhere, he can be there close to you, don't break your bond with him, you'll end up regretting it. I too have a 3 yr old male cockatiel and rn he is screaming for me.

#5 · (Edited)
Also, don't punish your cockatiel with negativity, they don't understand if they did something wrong, they aren't humans, they understand things in different ways, and putting a cover on him won't make it a permanent solution. Remember that birds are basically like human babies, bc they need the same amount of attention, don't just buy a female and male and expect things to be easy. They'll bond with each other, but more so with you. Now that you are home more, they will want to take advantage of this closeship. Since quarantine, I hang out with Shadow practically several hours a day, while working, eating, playing, exercising. it's good for our bond and relationship. I know it'll seem like a hardship, but think of it as practice for later on, helps with patience and such.

#7 ·
Oh I see, you are totally right, and it pains me to see him like that, is a good Idea what you said about making him some stand so he can be with me in my room, thx a lot for the suggestion I'm totally doing this, is very important to me to have him confortable and happy that's why I don't like to move his cage that much or put him in another room by himself, thanks again for the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.