Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I'm so confused, I don't even know were to start....

Well. I have 7 cockatiels, 3 girls and 4 boys, two of them are siblings and are always showing affection, the other ones are not related, they just keep it cool as friends . BUT ! I have a male that's always trying to get with all the females, and neither one of the 3 females paid attention to him for a while until " Bella " ( which she had always lived with another male that I have ) decided to flirt back to him, and threw her past love in the garbage .... ( This might be so confusing, I'm sorry )
The thing is that Bella & The flirtatious bird (his name is Pavarotti ) starting bonding ALOT ! and LAST NIGHT I heard a really weird squeaking coming from the bird room and when I went there.... It was shocking ! ! !
Pavarotti was on top of her and I'm 100% they did it . . . He finished her off with a bite on her neck and just jumped off . . . :love::blush:

Now I'm not sure that the next step should be ...
I put Pavarotti and Bella in a separate cage, they're in the same room as the other birds though, In the cage I put a nestbox with bounty on the bottom, they already filled out the nest with some " Nesting Material "I got them from the petshop (both of them are doing this job, they take turns inside the nesting box, one pulls out the strings of nesting material and drops it inside, the other one gets it and puts it together ), I put cuttle bone and I added " Nutrimin - Mineral Supplement " to their water. I'm not really sure what else I should add to their cage... I'm not sure if what I put in is the right stuff... I'm wondering if I should change their diet ( They're not soft food lovers, I've tried for longggg and nothing ! :( ) maybe I can get something from the pet-shop to supply more vitamins ?

I have read that there are chances we don't get chicks from the eggs but Its 100% sure that there will be eggs laid ? I'm worried about the hen's Health... I know they need extra vitamins and calcium when they lay eggs... and This had me worried before and I didn't want them to mate because of it . But now that It happened I just need some HELP to make sure everything will be ok ?:confused:

If there's a 100% probability of eggs laid, how long until I see the first egg ? And after that... What next ?

PS. The male ( Pavarotti ) Turned completely aggressive towards me ever since they started bonding... What should I do to make him feel more comfortable ? On the other hand the hen ( Bella ) is really sweet, and she's looking for attention, and he doesn't want me near....

I don't know what to do :wacko:

I'd appreciate so much any help !

I uploaded a picture of the hen ( in blue hammock )
The male is sitting on top of the cage
& Then a picture of all 7 birds.

Thanks in advance !

Diana .

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OMG, They just did it again ! :blush:

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
It is NOT 100% sure that eggs will be laid. Some hens will never lay eggs unless they have a nestbox even though they're sexually active. But there are many hens who will lay eggs without a nestbox and even without a mate, so it's very possible that eggs will be laid.

Even with birds that have a nestbox and an owner who's trying to get babies, it takes more than one day of mating to produce eggs. It's more like a week or so for their hormones to get to the right stage for egg-laying.

If you don't want babies (and it sounds like you don't) there are things you can do to lower their hormone level and get them out of breeding mode. The long nights treatment is usually the most effective - that's at least 12-14 hours of uninterrupted darkness every night for at least a week. Putting them in separate cages so they can't copulate is obviously helpful too. It's OK for them to look at each other so the cages can be close together.

Other hormone-reducing techniques are to give them enough food to eat every day but not to have a lot of additional food available, so they'll think there's not enough food available to feed babies. Especially reduce the amount of greens and other soft foods suitable for babies. Rearrange the items in the cage and/or the area around the cage to make things look different - the idea is to make the environment seem a little less secure without scaring your birds a lot.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your answer.

I do want the babies, I just want everything to be right...for the parents to stay healthy and the same for the chicks.. I already see them working so hard to build their nest and ever since I wrote the thread they copulated 2 more times :blush::love: i still get a "panic attack" every time I hear her " Squeaking " :love:

I just have a bunch of questions of what I'm supposed to do next... I put them in a cage together, and got them a nesting box and the nesting material and right away they started building it up... But I noticed the material I got them, is making a lot of mess... What material do you recommend ?
As I said before, they take turns to be inside the nest... and every time she comes out of the nest, and before he goes in the nest, they're copulating....
He sings and "talks" while he's inside the nest... and when she's inside he throws the " nesting material " inside and sings :p That's a sign that he's happy !!! :D

Should the nest be big enough for both of them to fit inside at the same time ?

PS. I think she plucked some of her bottom feathers and put them inside the nest, that's what I can see...

Thanks again and I'm sorry for bothering ...
I'm so eager to learn :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
The nesting material I'm using is called " UltraCare Material "
Its the only one my local pet shop carries... but I'm gonna go out now and look for the pine shavings, I think I've seen it in my pet-shop but when I asked what should I use as a bedding material they said this " UltraCare material" was the best for it, I believe they sell the pine shavings for other purposes. . .

I also attached the picture of the nesting material and a picture of the couple... the hen is the one standing straight and the male is right next to her, and the one bending his head is the hen's ex-husband :p:love: She's not as dark as it looks in the picture, I've been trying to take a better picture today but It seems impossible...

Quick question ... Should I let them come out of the cage ?:confused:

Thanks again !

Diana

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think you should buy the aspen shavings or pine shavings. I doubt the people at the pet store are experts on baby cockatiels! The thing is, the bedding in the nest isn't just there to cushion the eggs and keep them warm and absorb poop. The bedding can really affect the amount of moisture in the eggs. A couple of months ago, a member here on the forum had only 1 of her eggs hatch because she used coconut fiber bedding and the bedding took too much moisture out of the eggs. Aspen and pine do not have that problem.

I want to point something else out, too- Do you have the time to hand raise the chicks if necessary? A lot can go wrong and there's a decent chance you'll end up with little babies who need you to feed them every few hours. Or, even worse, sick little babies who need to be fed and medicated very frequently. Having baby cockatiels is scary when you are inexperienced, so much can go wrong. This is something to consider before you let your birds have babies. Now that you've given them a nest box, they probably will lay eggs, but my tiels mated very frequently for a good year and a half before they laid eggs on the floor of the cage, so mating doesn't necessarily equal babies. My male and his previous girlfriend mated frequently for 3 years and never laid eggs until I gave them a nest box. Putting a nest box in when they're mating makes it much more likely though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi !
I'm trying to find out which pet store has either pine or aspen shavings so I can go get it . Thank you so much for the concern and help !

Right now I'm attending school only 2 days out of the whole week, and the days I'm in school my boyfriend will be here to attend the birds. I'm not working, so the rest of the days I'm home with the birds. I read a lot about birds, everyday ! I know a little but I always wanna hear more and learn from everyone ...

Since I already put the nest box in, I feel so guilty to just take it away... I'm willing to give a 100% into this... That's why I'm trying to figure everything out at an early stage.

I'm gonna go to the rescue where I got the birds from, they are willing to teach me as much as possible too .

Thanks so much !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any pet store sells Pine or Aspen - even Walmart and Target sell bags of it so it shouldn't be too tough to find. It will probably be in the small animal section.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah !
Thats exactly where I found it . I just didn't know it would fulfill this purpose... In the pet store they told me I shouldn't use this for birds and they gave me the other " Nest Material " But now I went there and got pine shavings.

Thanks !!!!

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
LOL...not to sound Jaded...but the pet store is going to sell what they have to make a sale. This does not mean that the product is good for you to use.

I would consider it a very dangerous material for cockatiels, especially if they chew it and it impacts or twists in their intestines. It could wrap around a babies neck or foot and cut off circulatation, and/or death.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was just looking at the picture of your gorgeous flock, and noticed that the one at the rear on the right looks like it has a sore wing. Is it alright?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I rescued her from a very bad home, her old owner didnt take care of her at all and the bird started screaming for help, and the owner couldn't take it and hit her beak (that's all I could take out of her). The bird started plucking her feathers badly... her belly was extremely swollen (signs of other kind of abuse) she couldn't go on perches, she was always on the bottom on the cage and very lethargic , she was in a clinic for about 2 months before I could bring her home, the vet and I really thought she wasn't gonna make it, up until today she still plucks one or two feathers in a week... when it gets bad I have to put a collar on that I made for her and I take it off everyday to let her clean herself under my supervision, and around the second or third day of her having the collar I take it off and let her rest, the longest she's had the collar on is 4 days... I really try a lot with her... I have tried everything, from home remedies, to antibiotics... she's gotten a lot better, but not 100%, She still doesn't trust me fully, she lets me pet her head every now and then but she's shaky when you talk to her... She's really traumatized. :( I talk to her daily, take her out... give her baths to reduce the dryness in her skin and I give her multi-vitamins. I think its a matter of time and patience, if you know of anything else I can do for her please let me know .

I'll attach pictures of her . ;)

Diana

Attachments

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I don't understand.

You state you "don't want babies" and now you are setting them up with a nestbox in another cage together? if you don't want babies, then put them in separate cages.

By the way, you shouldn't breed until you have done tons of research.. there is more to just shoving them in a cage with a nestbox.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Srtiels, I learn new stuff everyday :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't understand.

You state you "don't want babies" and now you are setting them up with a nestbox in another cage together? if you don't want babies, then put them in separate cages.

By the way, you shouldn't breed until you have done tons of research.. there is more to just shoving them in a cage with a nestbox.
Hi Solace,
I never stated that "I don't want babies", I said that I didn't want them to mate yet because I am concerned about the parents health as well as the chicks but since it happened I am sure I can try it... I started this thread as part of my " research ". I don't believe its easy, it never crossed my mind that " shoving them in a cage with a nestbox " was the easy way... the contrary, I am asking so many questions to make sure I get the best answers there can be. I read everyday about birds and other animals as well, I keep track of my birds health and I give them everything they need and want, including lots of affection and time. If I didn't think I could handle the responsibility of having baby birds in the house, I wouldn't dare to do it... I understand everything that comes with it, but I still want to know more, thats the only reason I keep asking and asking and asking, Hopefully I learn from all of you who have tons of knowledge and I stop making mistakes...
As soon as I saw them mating I got on the computer, started researching, called the vet and let her know,she told me to put them in a cage together and put a nestbox in, she didn't give much details because it was late at night but she will come around on saturday, today I called the rescue where I got the birds from and let them know whats going on... and all those people are willing to help me as well... I'm a second semester vet student, I wish I could just learn everything with the blink of an eye. . . but as for now I am stuck in course classes until next semester... I do research, I did not " shove the birds in a cage with a nestbox " I am only concerned about their health and I want the best for them.

Diana

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
I have tried everything, from home remedies, to antibiotics... she's gotten a lot better, but not 100%,
-------------------------

you might want to research and ask your vet about CUD (chronic ulcerative dematitis)

Also you mentioned several times giving vitamins. In excess these can cause health problems and toxicity, and also contribute to plucking.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
If you are concerned about their health, and the vet knows this, they shouldn't be telling you to put a nest box up. If the vet doesn't know about this concern of health, then you shouldn't put a nest box up until you know they are 100% healthy and get the all clear to breed, that is when a nest box can be added.

There is all sorts of problems that can happen with the female especially, for example prolapsing.. also breeding drains a lot of their calcium, if you had a female that was lacking calcium, that female could end up really sick and have trouble passing an egg/ or eggs.

Just trying to give you a heads up, it isn't easy, it can be a lot of money, and you need to do lots of research to know what you are in for.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The vet doesn't medicate her anymore, she told me it wasn't any infection or anything that needed to be treated with antibiotics anymore, we gave her a lot of antibiotics when she was in the clinic because of her swollen belly. She also said that the bird might just pluck out of habit and she might never stop plucking, I would say the plucking has reduced 98%... She gained weight and she comes out of the cage by herself now... I say she's not a 100% because she's still very traumatized, she's really afraid of people, she can't stand people being near her, even when she's inside the cage with door closed I talk to her from outside and she's shaking like crazy... Its so sad :( The vet taught me how to make her collar so it wouldn't hurt her at all and she can eat and move around the cage with it and its really easy to take it off, it takes two seconds to put it on, two seconds to take it off, she only has to wear it when she goes O.D. on the plucking :(

I give all of my birds vitamins in the water, they are rescued birds, people didn't want them around, they were probably birds given to kids and when parents got sick of cleaning the mess they got rid of them, they never cared about what they fed the birds and there's only 2 of them who eat vegies with me sometimes, and I actually have to eat them too, so I give them vitamins as a complement. I put this vitamins in the water only 3 times a week . Should I reduce this though ?

Thanks again .

I uploaded some pictures of the " Injured bird " her name is delilah, those are old pictures, she's much better. I will take new pictures and show you .

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you are concerned about their health, and the vet knows this, they shouldn't be telling you to put a nest box up. If the vet doesn't know about this concern of health, then you shouldn't put a nest box up until you know they are 100% healthy and get the all clear to breed, that is when a nest box can be added.

There is all sorts of problems that can happen with the female especially, for example prolapsing.. also breeding drains a lot of their calcium, if you had a female that was lacking calcium, that female could end up really sick and have trouble passing an egg/ or eggs.

Just trying to give you a heads up, it isn't easy, it can be a lot of money, and you need to do lots of research to know what you are in for.
Thanks Solace,
I am informed about the problems that can happen and thats what scares me the most, I believe that anyone who started breeding for the first time were scared too ! :eek:<-- that has been my face for the past day !
Thanks again, I know how expensive vet bills can be, I will keep on researching.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts