Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got her from a guy who had them in a room in a barn that he caged off. He was never touched until i got her. The guy told me she has been out of the box for like 1-2 months. I have her in a nice cage but she never drinks any water, or eats the millet or bird seed. Ive had her for like 5-7 days and she will get on my finger and eats cellerary, grass, dandylion leaf, broccoli, and a bite of carrot when i trick her to by replacing the celary with it lol. And let me pet her today. I know she needs her berd seed,millet and water and after a couple days of her not eating any I put millet and seed right on her beak and she isnt havin it. What should i do to get her to eat and drink?? Any tips or ideas will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
She is probably getting enough liquids from the greens. Keep feeding her the veggies, but still try to introduce the seed. Have you tried pellets? She may not know what seeds are.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good news today i found out apple is her favorite and got her to eat millet! Im still worried about the water though so i put apple around her water dish and i think im gonna put a bottle one to. Btw thank you mentha for your help on both questions. Should i get her eating pellets? are they healthier than seeds are for her?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
A mix of pellets and seed are best. Some people feed solely pellets, but cockatiels are seed eaters. Too much of a good thing can be bad too. Feed a mix of seed, pellets, & veggies. Apples are good, mine like grapes cut in half. Dried fruits sometimes, cooked rice, cooked yams or pumpkin, cooked carrots, orange veggies are good for vitamin A which is usually devoid in a normal diet. I even feed my birds cooked turkey or chicken sometimes, usually a small piece off of my turkey sandwich, whole grain breads, sprouts. The thing is give them a variety of foods and remove anything that will spoil after an hour or two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts