Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cockatiel :grey tiel: thinks that the pellet is a seed and must be opened how do I get him to eat the pellet not crack it

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
pellets are large and hard, the bird cannot just swallow them so need to grind them down to a manageable size, I find most pellets run a tad to large for the intended species and I always buy a size smaller. Try getting a smaller pellet and I bet you will find less waste.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Alex had a similar problem when first introduced to pellets. Try crushing the pellets before putting them into his food dish. This may help him get into the habit of swallowing them whole instead of making a mess. Otherwise something like the Seed Corral or Tidy Seed feeder may help contain the mess.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
My guys have the same problem! It doesn't matter what size the pellet is. The conure just grinds them into a powder, though. Otherwise I don't think the cockatiels recognize the powder as a food...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yay! I'm glad to hear your little guy is coming around. Pellets are a hard thing for most birds to figure out initially.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts