Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

My boy Throckmorton is almost eight months old, and he started his molt about two months ago. His wings are clipped, and he started regrowing his flight feathers. The first time he grew two of them in, he lost them both on two different nights. He's just grown those same feathers back in, and one of them fell out about an hour ago. The shaft of the feather was slightly red at the bottom, but there was no bleeding on any of these losses. Is this something I should be concerned about? He doesn't seem to be picking them out, is this normal or does it need attention?

Thank you very much!! :lutino:

·
Registered
227 Posts
If he is losing feathers at night-perhaps a night fright? Keep a night light on..
It looks like his feather folicule may be damaged-this may get better or may not.. I have a bird without tail-I bought him like that back in 2015,he was possibly attacked by an animal. Every time he molts-few feathers will appear there only to fall off in couple of days-his tail feather follicules seem to be damaged beyond restauration.. Hopefully this is not the case with your bird.. but wrongly done clipping may also damage the feathers

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

With clipped wings, a molt usually results in this type of problem as there are no supporting flight feathers for the new ones growing in so they are more likely to get knocked or damaged or come out. As ninfatiel has already mentioned, keep a night light near his cage at night to help prevent night frights and try to prevent your 'tiel from trying to fly. As long as the new feathers don't break, leaving part of the shaft still in the skin (which is an emergency and needs to be removed immediately), he should be fine and just needs time to let his wings grow back and this issue should come right.

Here's some info on blood feathers and what to do if one breaks in this article.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts