Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just gotten mojo back from my mother, after begging the landlord and an extra 25 dollars a month on my rent -_- (greedy man) mojo is able to live with me again. He has become detached.. So I'm working ok hand taming him... Again :) lots of Cheerios .. Anyway he hated water he always has... I would have to force him in the shower and it was a battle every time lol but that was when he trusted me a little bit more, Now he doesn't as much obviously. I bought a squirt bottle and filled it with warm water and tried to bathe him that way but he runs he hates it. So my question is how do I have a clean birdy without him absolutely hating me?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My bird hates the squirt bottle, but LOVES taking a shower.
Is he in the cage when you try to shower him? I take other stuff out, but leave him in the cage, and he just sits on his perch and looks like he is really enjoying the shower.
But as I said he hates the squirt bottle and he also seems to lose his equilibrium when I try to spray him...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have upset Peppy by trying to make her bathe when I want her to. If she decides herself then she will jump in anything like the washing up bowl or my bath. I just leave a bowl of water on the floor now. She hates the first few minutes of the spray then decides it's ok and fluffs up for more. It's mostly a case of catching the right moment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He actually goes all kookoo when I blow air on him, how some birds react to water that's how he reacts with me blowing on him ? Lol I think he's confused

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have the same problem and unfortunately no answers. Murray hates water. She will walk around in a plate of water with leaves in - she dips her tummy in but never splashes and only one little patch gets wet. Other than that, she refuses to bathe. At least once a week I shut her in the cage and spray her. She detests it, but I don't know what else to do! I've tried it all:

The shower - with me in it and without
Various bowls/dishes/plates with water and leaves
The spray bottle - at different temperatures, in different rooms at different times of day and while in the cage
Dripping water on her with my fingers

It doesn't seem to matter - she hates it all! She also seems confused about it. It seems she's never learned how to bathe (I always put it down to her being hand reared?). If I put the kettle or the blender on, the sound makes her want to bathe but she tries to do it in my hair! If I spray her or drip water on her while she's doing it she stops and looks at me like I'm crazy!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
We started Joey off, and still do, by giving him a mist bath while he is in his cage. It does the double duty of making him feel secure while bathing and getting his cage wet to make it easier to wipe down. At first we used the calm but excited voice we use when we want him to know we are excited about something and it is going to be fun for him. He loves a bath, so we are lucky that way, but still continue to mist him while caged, just to make the cage easier to clean. Some birds never care for a shower. It is frustrating but with trial and error, you will find something.

My canary Taxi hated a mist bath, hated a bird bath, but would take his bath in his water dish. Silly boy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts