Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sooooo excited!! The breeder I contacted about my lutino's momma hatched an egg today!!! I've got pics!! I'm so excited!!

I just HAVE to share!!!

Momma tiel

Momma and baby

Close-up of baby

*doing the happy dance*

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
If she only has one baby at this point it's not a lutino, you can see the black eyes in the first photo. :) Congrats though! It's very exciting!

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
If she only has one baby at this point it's not a lutino, you can see the black eyes in the first photo. :) Congrats though! It's very exciting!
Good eye Bea :p I didn't even see that till I read your post and went back and looked and saw the black eye.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Momma laid 4 eggs and baby #2 hatched today! If all 4 hatch I have a 25% chance of it being lutino, right?

The breeder told me that their eyes look dark when they are first hatched but will look more red later on.... If they are lutino, that is...

Even if it is a mix, I'm still happy! lol

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Not sure what the breeder is talking about :eek: but if they are all born with dark eyes none of them will be Lutino they do not change later.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
These are budgie chicks, but it's the same with ino tiels.

See how the front one has pink eyes already obvious under the skin? That's what you look for in a lutino tiel baby. :) It can be quite scary if you don't know what is going on, because it looks like they have no eyes!

·
Registered
756 Posts
just as Bea said... lutino´s eyes are quite evident.. and pink fromt he start.... let´s hope one of the babies turns out with pink/red eyes ;)

is dad a lutino??... or split to it?... because if only mom is then no babies will be lutino, just males will be but in the split form, so non will be visual....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well I have sad news...

Momma had laid 4 eggs, 2 of which hatched within a day of each other. However momma was more concerned with tending the unhatched eggs than her babies, that baby # 1 passed away last night. I haven't seen any pics of baby #2, so not sure on the eye color. The breeder has pulled baby # 2 from the nest and it is in an incubator. It did have it's first poop and it is digesting its food, so I hope these are good signs. The other 2 eggs have not hatched yet. It could still be a few days if these eggs are fertile.
Oh this is this momma's first clutch. 1st time mother's mistakes I guess.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sad update #2
Baby #2 passed early this morning. And it doesn't look like the remaining 2 eggs are fertile.

There is still 1 lutino momma that hasn't gone to nest yet. I'm keeping things crossed.

Poor wee babies.

·
Registered
756 Posts
how sad... poor babies.... hope you get your tiel baby soon

one thing though.... if you are looking for a lutino... it really doesn´t matter if momma is a lutino.. the father has to be either visual or split in order to you get a lutino baby...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
:( I am sorry to hear that baby #2 didn't make it! R.I.P babies! :love: I really to hope the other eggs are fertile and make it...GOOD LUCK!:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts