Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it okay for them (7.5 weeks) to eat the wood off of their perches and the paper on the bottom of their cage? They like to chew on EVERYTHING as I have quickly noticed, but after watching closely, it seems they chew it up into a tiny tiny piece then swallow it (or maybe they just shred it into tiny particles, I can barely see how small it is). I hope it won't cause an impaction... The perches are a grape wood perch, its thick and natural and they reallly like to chew on it especially, but i don't think i've seen them swallow a noticeably sized piece.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Baby birds are super beaky and chew on everything, they shouldn't actually be ingesting it.

My bird was the same as a baby and I was petrified every time it looked like he swallowed something and inspecting his poo looking for bits of stuff and never found anything, and he's still alive 2 years on so have some faith in your little ones :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay... Hopefully they aren't then xD Do you know how I can check if they have an obstruction/impaction? The birdy I had before these was an adult and barely had any problems, so tbh I don't know how to accurately check for problems in the crop. I've looked online, but so far I've only found articles for very young babies who don't have feathers yet. All I can tell you is that I haven't noticed them pooping as often as my other bird (maybe every 25 minutes) and I can see a bulge on the lower part of their necks (must be the crop) after they eat, which then goes down soonish

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wanted to add another thing here. I just got them an all natural toy that has tassel made of also a natural dry plant type material. I can say 100% that if they manage to break off a piece, they will swallow it if it doesn't fall from their grasp. So I took the tassel off of the toy.

They soo enjoyed playing with it though, and it kept them stimulated for very long, so I am thinking of maybe getting some clean grass from my yard (which is free of pesticides etc) and putting that in place of the tassel. Once it dries it should be pretty much the same, but edible because it's just grass, right? Do you think this would be a better alternative?

·
Registered
102 Posts
there is specific grass you can grow for your birds to eat! i think i saw it on birdtricks one time a while ago...but it's very healthy for them apparently and acts as a great foraging toy. the grass would probably be a really good idea, i think, just make sure it's definitely safe for them. i think there is only certain typed of grass they can safely eat, so i would look into this further if i were you before doing anything. my bird chews absolutely everything he can get his beak into but he doesn't actually swallow any of it, luckily...i always keep a sharp eye on what that beak is doing, and if it looks like he's about to swallow it, my fingers go straight to grabbing it out of his beak....

·
Registered
786 Posts
Its wheatgrass, usually sold in little planters at Petco, Petsmart and the like. Sometimes they call it grass for indoor cats. From what I have heard it a lot of birds love it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts