Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bird Nussy is around 4 years old and male and has started becoming very angry these days. He's a very lovable bird but of late he has even flown to me and bitten me. I've read it's typical hormonal behavior because he doesn't have a mate. The other bird I have is also male (funny story on how we thought it was a female and got it for Nussy but it turned out to be a male)

The advice I've read is that we can change the cage environment so that it reduces the hormonal levels. He's very attached to this nest so I may remove that nest tmrw. I'm wondering if I should get a female cockatiel to help Nussy. But I don't want it to be an additional burden taking care of an extra bird.

Advice pls :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
The nest is most likely the problem. I would remove it, and rearrange the cage so that it's not as familiar. Also, don't get a bird just for Nussy. Get a bird for you, and if you don't want another one, that's fine, he has a companion and honestly I don't think it matters if the companion is male or female, the important part is that they get along well. It's even possible for same-sex couples to bond like a pair (the two males I used to have would cuddle and preen each other!). :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two are quite friendly with each other. If we separate them for one second they both go crazy. Is it ok if they don't mate at all? I'm kinda worried it goes against nature.

I'm removing the nest today. Will see how his behavior changes

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Unless you want eggs and babies, it's perfectly fine for your 'tiels not to mate. They have their own way of releasing sexual tension -- yes, 'tiels are known to masturbate.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha yes i'm all too aware :)

So I removed the nest and also closed some of their favourite spots where Nussy tends to be more possessive about. He loves to go behind the washing machine or in front of the mirror and when we go close to that area, he lunges at us.

He seems a bit confused. Trying to find a new area I guess. Hope his behaviour becomes better soon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts