Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! Sorry for the late pics, there were some issues logging in with the whole password-reset thing! Anyways...

My clutch of 5 is 5 weeks old this week! They're all getting so big, active and their personalities are starting to come out. All the babies except last one are perching, flying, and starting to eat on their own.

Though they're parent raised (dad is a whiteface grey, mom is a cinnamon pearl, they're both hand-tame) I handle them daily so they are very used to me and being out of the cage. They no longer cower or hiss when I walk by the cage or reach inside.

I took their nest box out this weekend because mom laid 2 more eggs (I threw them out) and she was starting to pluck the smallest baby :( So I moved them to a make-shift nest box that is just an open-top cardboard box covered with duct tape (2 inches high, 6 inches x 6 inches) filled with shavings so they're able to climb in/out and rest whenever they want. They love it, and mom seems to have stopped plucking but I'll keep my eye on baby.

Baby #1 and 2 are sleeping on the perches at night, with the smallest 3 still sleeping in nest box. They love nibbling on the spray millet, pellets and seeds like mom and dad. I'm having so much fun watching them grow up :)

So without further delay, here are their pics!!

Baby #1, Cinnamon grey. I'm 90% sure male because of his behavior. Like dad he's very vocal, very playful and takes every opportunity out of the cage to fly. Super sweet and the most affectionate out of the clutch towards me. He'll let me pet him all over and doesn't seem to be afraid of anything, lol :)

Baby #2, Whiteface pearl. 80% sure a female because of behavior. Much quieter then baby 1, is content to sit on the perch or nibble at the spray millet. Out of the cage she's very sweet towards me, will just sit in my hand and look around. She'll let me pet her and will nibble at my fingers, but she's more on the reserved side, definitely more calm, which I really do like about her.

Baby #3, Pearl. Not sure on gender yet, but personality is more like baby 2 in that she is content to sit on perch and nibble at seeds, so I would guess female. Out of the 5, probably 2nd most affectionate towards me.

Baby #4, Whiteface Lutino (albino). For sure a female based on color. She is stunning with her white feathers and right now likes to perch on the side of the nest box, open her wings really wide, fluff her tail feathers and then beats her wings for a while. Out of all the babies I'm pretty sure I want to keep her, she's just so stunning, elegant but also so much personality :)

Baby #5, whose color was a mystery until now! Whiteface cinnamon pearl, making all the babies in the clutch all different colors! :) This baby is the youngest at around 3.5 weeks, and is still pretty dependent on mom and dad for food and most of the time will sit in the nest box, but I have seen it out and walking around with its siblings in the cage. Will be super pretty once all it's feathers come in :)

Until next week, adios!!

Boo (dad) :wf grey: Peach (mom) :cinnamon pearl:

and the babies!

:cinnamon::wf pied::pearl::wf lutino::wf cinnamon:

(no wf-pearl or wf-cinnamon pearl emoji;s, lol)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Lovely babies!! :love:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Here they are :

As to Peach being a split white-face, I'm not sure, I was told that dad (on the right) is split to cinnamon and lutino!
Mom IS split whiteface, it is recessive and you need 2 copies of the gene to get whiteface babies, one from each parent. Gorgeous bubs!

·
Registered
22 Posts
They seem to be a very wealthy (and cute :love:) flock :).

And the parents are impressive also :).

Rara avis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts