Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2yr white face pearl is completely pearled but has no barring on the tail feathers. I have read many times that females keep their pearling and males lose it, but may retain a little around their neck. Her whole back/wings/chest are pearled so why does my bird not have barring on her tail?? Are tail feathers irrelevant in this mutation? I've also seen another pearl with no barring, so I'm just confused. I also have a juvenile pearl (unrelated) and when it molts will it be 100% to tell the sex by either keeping or losing the pearl pattern?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Some pearl cockatiels will not have much barring on their tails to begin with, males will molt in solid grey tail feathers and females will keep the original tail feathers. And yes males lose their pearls and females retain them so that helps determine gender.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Another way that helps with gender with pearls sometimes is if you know the birds parents. Because pearl is a sex-linked mutation( I dont know if you know this already), if the birds mom was not a pearl then that bird is a female.....if mom was a pearl then that bird could be either a boy or a girl ( this works the same with lutino and cinnamon as well)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know the parents of the bird but I knew about sex-linked mutations :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'll get pics up tonight if I have time. Otherwise ill post pix tomorrow for sure
:D

ok i hope the pic shows up. her name is glamour and her albino mate, latte, is in the background

Attachments

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Male? :confused:

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
shes female for sure

how do you know latte is male? whiteface lutinos are hard to sex because it is impossible to do it visually... does he whistle? in another post i read he has a cinnamon wash... cinnamon and lutino are both sex linked mutations, you have a much higher chance of having a female.

a few things i'd like to point out.

latte is a whiteface lutino, not albino. theres no such thing as albino cockatiels.

pairing like to like is not so great, so pairing two whitefaces isnt the best. if they have babies and they end up being smaller or have bald spots or if the eggs or babies die in the nest you may not want to breed them again sorta thing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
They had a clutch for someone else. I was just curious about tail feahers and the pearl mutation. Their chicks are a good size I saw 2 of them when I purchased this pair. And I know it's wf lutino I just like saying albino (I think its cooler lol)

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
ok so hes a proven male.

as long as the babies are healthy then its ok. its just sometimes you can encounter problems pairing like to like. but WF isnt the worst to pair together.

worst are lutinoxlutino and pearlxpearl and silverxsilver (i think ive heard theres high fatalities with silvers...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts