Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

At first I thought this one was just lutino but with a closer look, he(?) has some kind of brown wash

I wasn't planning on buying a second tiel, but I haven't seen this mutation before in our local pet stores so I thought why not

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The first is most likely a cinnamon lutino. It could be a cinnamon fallow instead, but fallow is a fairly rare mutation making the latter unlikely. Cinnamon lutinos 9 times out of 10 are female.

The second is just a normal gray. I can't place a number to it but most normal grays are males because they carry two Z chromosomes that cancel out recessive sex-linked mutations. Hens only carry one Z chromosome which means recessive sex-linked mutations are more commonly visual for them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first is most likely a cinnamon lutino. It could be a cinnamon fallow instead, but fallow is a fairly rare mutation making the latter unlikely. Cinnamon lutinos 9 times out of 10 are female.

The second is just a normal gray. I can't place a number to it but most normal grays are males because they carry two Z chromosomes that cancel out recessive sex-linked mutations. Hens only carry one Z chromosome which means recessive sex-linked mutations are more commonly visual for them.
Thanks for the help, the second one doesn't look any other normal grey I've owned before tho, the cheek patch is more yellow than red

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
He may be split whiteface, that would play a part in it. If very young he also has the juvenile plumage hens have. If I am right about the sex, he will moult out these feathers and look a bit more like your other normal greys. If I am wrong about the sex "she" should for the most part stay the same.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I just compared "it" to my young ones that are split whiteface. It turns out your normal gray may have a odd facial mutation after all. Those really rare facial mutations really aren't my forte, I hope somebody who knows more about them can help you figure it out sorry.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just compared "it" to my young ones that are split whiteface. It turns out your normal gray may have a odd facial mutation after all. Those really rare facial mutations really aren't my forte, I hope somebody who knows more about them can help you figure it out sorry.
No worries, thanks for the help with the lutino

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
For your second I'm going to say pastelface. It's a form of whiteface and is a recessive trait, like whiteface. Yellow cheek is the other cheek patch I'm familiar with (I don't know anything about creamface) but from my understanding, yellow cheeks are much brighter than what's seen here.

The first COULD be a male lutino pearl...the pearls fading can cause a brownish wash like that as well. But it's more likely a cinnamon lutino.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
I'd say adult cinnamon lutino for the first one. The eyes aren't red enough for cinnamon fallow or a juvenile.

Grey split pied for the second one, either a juvenile or an adult female. It's hard to be sure about the cheek color. There's a lot of individual variation, with whiteface splits and females tending to have paler cheeks than others even if it's a normal cheek color. Pastelface is a definite possibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts