Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Below is an Illustration I just completed. Click on it for the largest view. You can right click and save it into a photo-editing program.

I was asked today for suggestions for a project for the ACS Youth group. Since the ages of the youngsters ranged from 4-18 years old I had suggested taking the cockatiel visual standard illus. and converting it into a line drawing. And 2 illus. can be on one sheet so that the young people can color a mutation that shows what the male and females coloration is. Since I was using ACS's origninal illus, and I totally photo-editing I got permission to use to post.

I think it would be a fun project for our forum members to download and save the pix. It would be great if several/everyone do an illus of a mutation. We can later do a sticky that shows each persons color renditions of each of the mutations.

You can print the page out and hand color it, and scan back into your computer to post. Or save to a paint program and color it. If you go by computer to paint the illustration you can also have a pix of the actual mutation in the photo-editing window. When doing this you can use the color picker to pick and copy the plumage color from the mutation photo and use the paint brush to color the illustration. You can even probably use the clone feature of a photo-editing program to clone patterns (such as pearl or pied) onto the illus. Be creative :)

Color the illus with the adult plumage of the mutation. There is space in the center of the illustration to ad type on what the mutation is and any interesting info about the mutation...such as pearl males lose the pearls, etc.

Have fun!!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I started working on one of the line Illus. below is the start of an Emerald illus.

What I did was to open the line illus in Paint Shop Pro (PSP). I also had lots of pix's of Emeralds (EM) on file. I opened one of the pix in PSP so that the illus and Pix were in the same window side by side. I played with the pix to have it the same size as the line illus, and rotated it to the same angle. I used the clone brush, with a reduced opacity to clone the eyes and facial mask on the line drawing. Then I used the eye dropper tool to pick an area of the body color. I selected the paint brush, and set the opacity at 50% and painted in the body colors. I used the eye dropper tool to select colors when I needed to 'paint' any of the other colors to the body.

If anyone has PSP, and wants to try a mutations illustration....what you can do is try to take a photo of your bird posed like the line drawings, and use that pix to work from to color in the line drawing.

DallyTsuka....your beautiful Dally would make a great model for a pearl illustration, and Tsuka is molted enough that if you can get him to pose and get a good side view of him that would work.

Also, if anyone wants to try a mutation and does not have pix's to use as color guides I have loads of them for use. Just PM me your email address and I can send them.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would you suggest doing the pearls? I'm thinking of using my Cinnamon as a model...?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK....what I would do is to take side view pix's of the bird/mutation you want to do. Crop the pix so that it just shows the entire profile/length of the bird. If you can resize the pix, you want to have it 780 pix's in height. This will have your photo approx the same size as the line illustration.

Of you have Paint Shop pro (PSP)...or another progran that has cloning ability.... First you open up the line drawing in the program. Then you open up the pix of the bird and place it next to the line drawing on the programs desktop/work area.

PSP has a clone tool, select it. On the tool bar right above the work area you can use this to change the size of the clone tool Look at the other end and you will see opacity...use the slider to reduce the opacity to 50%. In doing this the color that you are cloning from the photo to the line drawing will be diluted so that you have almost a water colored affect.

it is fun once you get started and is easier to do than explain :)

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
ok got the pearl mutations done.

i did this all on the standard paint program thats on everyone's computer.... tedious but after first colouring in everything the basic colour with the pencil tool i worked on the shading and then the final details like the males ghost pearls and the grey ticking in the female's face

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
lutino pearl compared to regular lutino is done. sorry the regular lutino hen looks like the pied, but the exact shade of yellow-white is hard to get...

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your Lutino pearl looks GREAT!

Can you make up another illustration using your lutino pearl hen....with this pix's below. He would be an adult lutino pearl male. Info would be: When the male molts out his pearl they can be replaced with a lavender/beige wash.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
These are fantastic illustrations, srtiels and dallytsuka, you are both so talented with editing programs! (jealous much?)

Just a thought, before I got my tiels I was often searching the net for a good source showing all the mutations, could a sticky be created with all these illustrations once they are completed as a source for future/current tiel parents who are curious about mutations as I am?

To date this is the best site I've found --> http://www.tieltreasures.com/gallery.htm showing different mutations, but I quite like your illustrations, great idea!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Well I went ahead and gave it a shot...tried the WF cinnamon mutation as Snowball is a perfect show of this. There are some darker feathers because as he moults the newer ones are lighter and the older ones are darker.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe there is SF and DF dominant silver, recessive silver, and a few others left to do.

You are welcom to save the pix's for personal use and reference on your computer. From there you can see which mutations have been done, and work on any others.

Also....I have an extensive collection of pix's of the mutations I could email you (my email is [email protected]) for you to use for color reference.

Also my online album in my signature has lots of tiel pix's for reference.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I found an online thing, YES it took me THIS long, because i kept starting over(figuring out the program)
But here it is! I can also fix the words, what i ended up doing(because i am lazy) was putting this picture over the old(blurry) one and using history brush on photobucket.

i LOVE the clone tool!
You probably wouldn't believe me when i tell you that for the male, it's meanboy's head, Singerboy's wings, the tail is a wing flight, and the back is meanboy's.
For Ari(the /wf hen in the picture) The tail is from a separate pic from the body. LOL i don't have any ONE good pictures!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.