Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I had a cockatiel baby named Pilot which I had just brought home about a month ago. However, we discovered he had a growth of some sort by his vent and we ended up returning him to the breeder. I was so sad as he was a very sweet and loving baby.

Today, I picked up my new baby. I'm not sure of his/her name yet. I know it's a Cinnamon Pearl but was wondering if it was split to Pied? The eyes are red reflective as well. I'm confused about mutations so I was hoping someone could help me out?

Obviously, I'm not sure if it's a male or female yet. I'm debating on DNA. What do you think?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'd almost be willing to bet that's a cinnamon pearl pied female but the best idea is to just pay your 15 bucks and have your tiel DNA tested. That's a really pretty bird!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd almost be willing to bet that's a cinnamon pearl pied female but the best idea is to just pay your 15 bucks and have your tiel DNA tested. That's a really pretty bird!
Thanks for the input :) ! What makes you say female? Just out of curiosity, I only know the signs after molting by feather reading.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone,

So I had a cockatiel baby named Pilot which I had just brought home about a month ago. However, we discovered he had a growth of some sort by his vent and we ended up returning him to the breeder. I was so sad as he was a very sweet and loving baby.

Today, I picked up my new baby. I'm not sure of his/her name yet. I know it's a Cinnamon Pearl but was wondering if it was split to Pied? The eyes are red reflective as well. I'm confused about mutations so I was hoping someone could help me out?

Obviously, I'm not sure if it's a male or female yet. I'm debating on DNA. What do you think?

View attachment 93562
Hi everyone,

View attachment 93562
Do you know what your baby cockatiel's parents' mutations were?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't remember what they said they were.
Okay, I know that if the mother was a visual pearl and/or cinnamon and the father was split to pearl and/or cinnamon, the baby could be a male or female. But if the father was split to pearl and/or cinnamon or visual for those two mutations and the mother wasn't a visual pearl and/or cinnamon, your baby would automatically be a female do to genetics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I called the store and they are saying one of the parents, I think the dad, is all white. Wondering if this is why he/she has white feathers on the back and front and wings? Plus the red reflective eyes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
It looks like he/she is pied to me (not split) because of the solid yellow, gray, and white feathers. If the father was all white, then he would be a whiteface lutino, and he would have to be split to cinnamon, pearl, and pied to have a cinnamon pearl pied baby. That would make sense about the eyes because whiteface Lutinos have red eyes. Are you able to find out what the mother was because that could determine if your baby is male or female?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like he/she is pied to me (not split) because of the solid yellow, gray, and white feathers. If the father was all white, then he would be a whiteface lutino, and he would have to be split to cinnamon, pearl, and pied to have a cinnamon pearl pied baby. That would make sense about the eyes because whiteface Lutinos have red eyes. Are you able to find out what the mother was because that could determine if your baby is male or female?
I’m going to ask when they call me back today :) thanks for speculating! I agree he/she is pied, not split to pied.

update: mom is cinnamon

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m going to ask when they call me back today :) thanks for speculating! I agree he/she is pied, not split to pied.

update: mom is cinnamon
Yeah, no problem! ;) Hopefully, you can find out what the mother's mutation was, and depending on the outcome, it could save you from spending money on a DNA test.:) I love the color of your cockatiel! He/she is so beautiful!!!! I have a cinnamon pearl split to pied cockatiel, and she resembles your baby a little bit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, no problem! ;) Hopefully, you can find out what the mother's mutation was, and depending on the outcome, it could save you from spending money on a DNA test.:) I love the color of your cockatiel! He/she is so beautiful!!!! I have a cinnamon pearl split to pied cockatiel, and she resembles your baby a little bit.
Awww thank you. He/She is very sweet!

they called me right back and said mom is a cinnamon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Awww thank you. He/She is very sweet!

they called me right back and said mom is a cinnamon.
Okay, since the mom isn't a pearl, and your baby has pearl in it, that would mean that the father is split to pearl, and therefore, the baby is a female. Also, because your baby has cinnamon in her, the father would definitely have to be split to cinnamon. Because she is a visual pied as well, both parents have to be split to pied in order to give a pied gene each to her. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but due to genetics, you should have a female cockatiel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, since the mom isn't a pearl, and your baby has pearl in it, that would mean that the father is split to pearl, and therefore, the baby is a female. Also, because your baby has cinnamon in her, the father would definitely have to be split to cinnamon. Because she is a visual pied as well, both parents have to be split to pied in order to give a pied gene each to her. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but due to genetics, you should have a female cockatiel.
To be honest, none of it makes sense to me 🤣

1 - 14 of 14 Posts