Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can the memebers help me to look and tell me the mutations of the two whitefaces from the pics. The one that is dark grey is split to whiteface and cinnamon I guess as it has given me a Lutino Male(visual) and a cinnamon pied( visual) from lutino visual female before. Any idea what genes the light grey would be on?
And, in the pic there is also a normal grey pied and has whiteface genes. Which of the males should I pair her with, please advise, thanks
6798E9C8-F7B2-415F-90AC-35A8D3741E23.jpeg
66CDC205-AD51-45DD-928A-E34E215B299C.jpeg
54A37BA0-94AF-4DD3-A436-1EF86F550E58.jpeg
66BC9189-2C2C-4BA3-88AB-BDCB8AC7DE8D.jpeg
009A7BED-7D8D-431E-A196-C4F37C00F90D.jpeg

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
The dark grey whiteface is split to pied, and the white spots on the back of the head are called pied tickmarks because they indicate that he is split to pied. If he has given you cinnamon babies and lutino babies, it means that he is split to cinnamon and lutino. Cinnamon and lutino are sex-linked mutations. The inheritance rules are complicated, but a male with a sex-linked gene can produce daughters who are visual for the mutation no matter what color the mother is. You can only get sons who are visual for the mutation if the father has the gene and the mother is visual for the mutation. There's information on sex-linked mutations here: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-sexlinked.html

The lighter male is probably cinnamon whiteface. He has ghost pearling on the wings, indicating that he might be split pearl or visual pearl, but sometimes these markings occur without having a pearl gene. Pearl is also a sex-linked mutation, so if he has the pearl gene, he will be able to give you pearl daughters no matter what color his mate is. He can have pearl sons if his mate is a pearl hen, but it doesn't look like you have a pearl hen.

The normal grey hen in the picture is split to pied, not visual pied. She has pied tickmarks on the back of the head but I don't see any other pied feathers.

Cockatiels have strong preferences about who they want to mate with, so you're likely to get the best breeding results if you let them choose their own mate. If the whiteface grey is already paired with the lutino then he probably won't want to change, and hopefully the cinnamon male and grey hen will like each other. But cockatiel romance is worse than a soap opera, and they often fall passionately in love with a bird that doesn't want them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dark grey whiteface is split to pied, and the white spots on the back of the head are called pied tickmarks because they indicate that he is split to pied. If he has given you cinnamon babies and lutino babies, it means that he is split to cinnamon and lutino. Cinnamon and lutino are sex-linked mutations. The inheritance rules are complicated, but a male with a sex-linked gene can produce daughters who are visual for the mutation no matter what color the mother is. You can only get sons who are visual for the mutation if the father has the gene and the mother is visual for the mutation. There's information on sex-linked mutations here: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-sexlinked.html

The lighter male is probably cinnamon whiteface. He has ghost pearling on the wings, indicating that he might be split pearl or visual pearl, but sometimes these markings occur without having a pearl gene. Pearl is also a sex-linked mutation, so if he has the pearl gene, he will be able to give you pearl daughters no matter what color his mate is. He can have pearl sons if his mate is a pearl hen, but it doesn't look like you have a pearl hen.

The normal grey hen in the picture is split to pied, not visual pied. She has pied tickmarks on the back of the head but I don't see any other pied feathers.

Cockatiels have strong preferences about who they want to mate with, so you're likely to get the best breeding results if you let them choose their own mate. If the whiteface grey is already paired with the lutino then he probably won't want to change, and hopefully the cinnamon male and grey hen will like each other. But cockatiel romance is worse than a soap opera, and they often fall passionately in love with a bird that doesn't want them.
The last part is so true, I have seen that happening few times 😃
And thanks for the information you shared, very helpful. I’ll keep both the males with that female and see which gets set🤞🏻..
I have a pair by the way which is raising a chick that’s about 10 days old. And they for some reason have chewed one of the nails of the chicks feet. I had a discussion with a vet and he said that we can’t do much in such case possible that they haven’t raised babies before and thisshowing that kind of behaviour. After hatch in the 2nd or 3rd day both parents in few instances also tripped to chew the tip of wings, fortunately the wings are not damaged except for that one toe nail which I can see now that isn’t developing fully.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts