Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think taco has a feather that's brothering her, or something, because today while she's been preening, she has on a few occasions fan open her tail feathers and shake them vigorously! I heard that can mean she is excited or frustrated, but I am not sure and I have tried searching this with not much results.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
My 'tiels often do this when preening, and also when showering, to get rid of excess water. I don't really think it's linked to emotions, it's more that the ruffling of the tail feathers is a way to make sure every feather is in its place without having to adjust them with their beaks. That's just my opinion though. It sure is cute when they do it! :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that they look really cute when they do it, also sounds cool too.

I really noticed it a couple of days ago when I went to pick her up from my parents after they bird-sat her for four days. The moment she saw me she fan opened her tail and shook it really fast.

If anyone has their two-cents to put in on what it means, please share. Taco has been doing this a lot today.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hah it really makes me laugh when they keep doing that fan out/shake with their tails. Maxi was doing it LOADS one day -- she was behind me so all I kept hearing was this fan noise and there she was trotting about the back of the sofa shaking her tail. A feather was out of place in that instance -- and she did it quite often then when new tail feathers were coming in too. Guess it's just to make sure everythings in place, especially with new coming in/old feathers going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts