Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At about 17:40 today Murray laid her first ever egg! It only took about 15 mins from the time she went into the cage. Here are some awkward photos I sneaked over the rim of the cage!

She only had a couple of bites of her dinner, and then she went off into her usual nesting corner. When I walked past she yelled at me, which isn't unusual, but she seemed more insistent. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her sitting down...so I left her to it and went to make a cup of tea. When I came back - EGG!

I'm a little relieved (this explains a lot of her behaviour this past week) and also very nervous about how the next couple of days are going to go down. Obviously she's a single bird so there won't be any chicks. Good job too - I'd be out of my mind with worry then!

I've put an upturned lid with some water in next to her, along with her food bowl and a plate of veggies. Anything else I can do? Do you think I should take her out to poop before she goes to bed? :p This is all new to me!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is that white dot her egg?! Sno-Cones were much bigger, if that's it! And as far as stuff to give her, cuttlebones are good. Do you know if the egg is fertilized? And try not to stress her. She should poop, but just as a warning, they will probably be HUGE. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Blue! It's tiny isn't it?! I was shocked. She's only 18 months old. Do you think that could be anything to do with it? Do you think it means anything?

It isn't fertilised. She does have a cuttlebone and mineral block, but they're on the outside (the doors are always open). Maybe I'll move them inside!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Strange... I did once have a parakeet who laid eggs.. The last egg of her clutch was extremely small; but on her next clutch, sadly, she got egg bound by a particularly large egg. I found that out from the vet. Also, I'd think they would be smaller if they're unfertilized. And 18 months is about the youngest you'd want a tiel to be is she's laying eggs. If she's on the smaller side, be very careful about egg binding.m They also lay eggs about every other day, up to around 6 or 7. Remember, do not remove any eggs. They shouldn't stink, and if you remove them, she'll just lay more. Cockatiels are kind of funny that way.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to be keeping a close eye on her. I'm absolutely paranoid about egg binding, but now I've seen her have her first one I know what to look for. I also just read that its usual for a cockatiel to have small, yolk-less eggs either at the end of their clutch (like your parrotlet) and in their very first clutch (like Murray). I do my best for her in terms of nutrition and exercise, so all I can do now is see how things play out...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Fertilized and unfertilized eggs are the same size... The only difference is one microscopic sperm cell. I too thought it looked tiny, more parakeet size...lol likely just her body doing a practice run and the next ones should be normal sized.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ParrotletsRock :) I love my Murray but she's always been a scruffy little clown - it figures she'd lay a daft little egg on her first go!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My hen laid her first egg in the crook of my arm..lol I didn't realize what she was doing at first then got my hand under her bum just in time to catch the egg.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Being a single hen, laying is not good for her. If you can, I would put her on some hormone control to try to stop her. http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330 this sticky explains how to do it.

The egg does look smaller. I would definitely keep an eye out for her next one.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Peppy is a chronic egg layer. I take her out twice a day to make sure she poops and eats. I am going to ask the vet about treatment soon as I am doing all the things recommended but have seen there that there is a drug that can be administered to control hormones. I had to pull her from the last eggs at about 18 days as her poop became smelly and offensive. Luckily it became normal almost immediately without treatment.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Being a single hen, laying is not good for her. If you can, I would put her on some hormone control to try to stop her. http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330 this sticky explains how to do it.

The egg does look smaller. I would definitely keep an eye out for her next one.
Oh I know, Roxy, I'm well read on all that stuff. I've done my best with hormone control (13 hour nights, diet etc) but I think for some females some laying is inevitable. As long as it doesn't become chronic I'm not too worried. Of course I'd rather she didn't lay - if I seem excited its only because this is the first time I've ever seen this!

ParrotletsRock - she obviously trusts you!

Mohum - I'm sorry to hear that about Peppy :( Poor baby! Murray is actually out and about this morning doing her regular thing, which is a relief for me.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Aww Murray! That's a special moment for her :love: The egg does look unusually small. I hope she doesn't lay too many more, hopefully she will lose interest. It is pretty darn cute seeing them with their first egg though. :p

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aww Murray! That's a special moment for her :love: The egg does look unusually small. I hope she doesn't lay too many more, hopefully she will lose interest. It is pretty darn cute seeing them with their first egg though. :p
I know, right? Even though there's no chick and even though we'd all rather have our little girls out of the nest, it feels like a milestone and I'm just excited to go through it with her :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Oh I know, Roxy, I'm well read on all that stuff. I've done my best with hormone control (13 hour nights, diet etc) but I think for some females some laying is inevitable. As long as it doesn't become chronic I'm not too worried. Of course I'd rather she didn't lay - if I seem excited its only because this is the first time I've ever seen this!

ParrotletsRock - she obviously trusts you
Well that was only her first egg, instinct has kicked in since then and God help anyone who dares get close to her nest or eggs... She is a vicious momma!! She too lays too many eggs, even when allowed to clutch which I did with her chicks hatching in feb of this year. She has just gone back to nest yesterday on 3 real and 8 fake eggs. I load her nest with fake ones as well as her real ones to prevent her from laying too many herself. One clutch she laid 16 infertile eggs (no mate then) before I got her to stop... Last time, with fake eggs, she stopped at 7.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts