Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

So, I am moving to a new place pretty soon, and I'm concerned about the toll it may take on Sammy. He has lived in this house since he was a baby, three and a half years ago.

My plan is to keep him contained to one room (the room where his sleeping cage will be set up) for three days to let him get comfortable with the new room, before taking him anywhere else in the house. Of course, I dont mean just letting him chill alone in that room the whole time, but rather to spend time with him there before branching out.

Any tips for how to keep his stress levels down during the transition, or to make it more comfortable for him?

Thank you all!
Sara

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tiels' are easily adaptable. I've moved numerous time with mine over the year, even traveled cross country staying in hotels and they have always been fine. Keep him in his usual cage with his toys, perches, whatever he likes. He will likely become comfortable and curious quickly and want to explore. He will look to you, if you seem comfortable he will feel safe. You are his safety, if he is with you and you are comfortable, he will be too. As long as he has his usual sleeping cage/perch to retire to, he will want to be wherever you are the rest of the day and not care so much about the general surroundings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry if this looks weird, I'm on mobile and having a hard time with it!

Thank you, Brightshen, that's a relief to hear! Sammy can be pretty standoffish to new things, but we've been working on it! Hopefully he'll adapt as well as yours!

Tiels' are easily adaptable. I've moved numerous time with mine over the year, even traveled cross country staying in hotels and they have always been fine. Keep him in his usual cage with his toys, perches, whatever he likes. He will likely become comfortable and curious quickly and want to explore. He will look to you, if you seem comfortable he will feel safe. You are his safety, if he is with you and you are comfortable, he will be too. As long as he has his usual sleeping cage/perch to retire to, he will want to be wherever you are the rest of the day and not care so much about the general surroundings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts