Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a young tiel and will probably be moving to the UK from Australia in a few months for work for at least a few years. I would be very sad to have to leave it behind, so would like to bring it with me.

My question is, has anyone here tried importing a tiel into the UK? If so how hard was it? Can tiels manage the colder climates?

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
We have tiels in the uk in outdoor aviarys. They do ok provided they have shelter from rain and wind. I'm not sure about extreme frost conditions but we don't have too many of those so you could easily take extra precautions if necessary.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hello! I don't know anything about the laws regarding importing pets, but I am an owner who lives in the UK and I know there are a fair few other Brits on here too.

Tiels probably won't be able to live outside all year round in the UK, and you will have to heat your new place to a temperature that you would be comfortable in while your tiel is there in winter. Just remember that the temperatures that are comfy for you are around the same range as those that are comfy for your tiel :)

Right now it's lovely here - 22 degrees. It looks like there's going to be a heatwave this week and the temperatures look set to reach about 33 degrees. This is considered the upper limit of hot for the UK! Right now there would be no issues carrying a tiel outside in a carrier or on a harness, or even putting it in an aviary. Obviously in winter transporting exotic birds can be more tricky since a sudden drop of more than 5 degrees or exposure to freezing temperatures even for a short time can be damaging. I took Murray on a trip last Christmas by having a pre-heated car on hand, wrapping the carrier in a blanket and rushing her from the front door to the car :)

Overall, though, there isn't a problem keeping exotic birds here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi! I live in Australia but up in the Blue Mountains, NSW. We get snow up here and cold temperatures like the UK. I keep my tiels inside in our spare room and have a faux wool over the sheet that covers them up at night to keep them warm. They DO feel the cold and neither like the parrot hammock bed so once I covered their cage over the top and down the sides with fur throw they were so comfy takes them a while to wake up!

Really depends on the whether but I'd NEVER have Ringo and Lucy out in the cold. Native birds are used to it - hand raised are not.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If your concerned about the cold I would like to offer some suggestions. I live in Canada and our past few winters have been unusually bitter. Unbearably cold. If I need to take the birds to the vet or anything during this season I preheat the car until it's super super warm. I cover their carrier with a thick blanket and keep them partially covered in the car in case of drafts. I keep the heat on high! Indoors I keep it extra warm for them, I have plastic on my windows to prevent drafts. I have a heated panel in each cage so they can snuggle up to it for warmth if needed. I keep an old comforter on each cage and make sure it's covering the back of the cage against the wall so they don't pick up a draft or feel the cold from exterior walls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback guys :)
Gives me confidence that he'll have no problems living there. My only fear is the trip itself. What are the chances of it perishing during the 30 something hour flight. Can anyone whose attempted this give me any feedback on how it went?

·
Registered
786 Posts
You might inquire as to whether or not you can take him aboard with you. There are carriers that can fit under the seat. Some airlines allow you to have one pet in the cabin with you, you have to make arrangements with the airline ahead of time. That way you can check on him and keep him fed, watered etc. Just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts