Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of moving across town (only about 20 mins) and Im in a predicament...

My pair has 2 babies. One is 12 days old and the other is 8 days old. They are both very healthy and active and growing quite well.
Today is supposed to be move out day but im extremely concerned that it will disrupt them too much? Not that they havent moved before- the parents have moved 3 times now in the past 2 years. Will it be ok?

As I said, the move is only about 20 minutes and I could have them back in their regular cages in a quiet room within a half hour. I plan on moving the whole flock at once, as not to stress them out by being separated and carry the babies myself somehow to ensure the car ride is entirely safe.

Would the stress harm the family? Please let me know you oppinions.

·
Registered
885 Posts
It should be fine as long as you can keep the babies from rolling around in the nest box too much during the drive.

How are you going to transport them? When I had to move with chicks in tow, I moved the nest box and parents to a small travel cage and the parents just stayed in the box the whole time and they were fine at the end of it.

The travel cage I had was just a small cheap thing that I was able to disassemble and re-assemble around the nestbox because the door was too small to fit it in.

Edit: I just saw that you're going to keep the babies with you (that will teach me for skimming lol), that SHOULD be fine as long as you can keep them warm during the trip. When my Zoe was a couple of weeks old, I had to take her on a 9 hour drive to my hometown to sort out a family drama and I didn't trust anyone enough to care for her while I was gone. I put her in a box with warm blankets and a hot water bottle and the box maintained adequate temperature for a couple of hours, so that would be my suggestion for you :)

Use a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature inside the box and do a couple of trial runs before the move (set the box up as if you were about to leave with the babies and see how long it takes to heat up and drop in temperature)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Shaenne!
I ended up moving them yesterday just before you replied!

It went well. I had the babies in my lap in a warm towel and the parents werent too concerned. They hate car rides but they just sat together and stuck it out. While I held the babies. And just 40 mins later, they were back in the nesting box feeding them so it wasnt nearly as bad as I thought it would be!

Thank you for your suggestions! They will be helpful in the furture for out vet visits<3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts