Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I had a bit of a shock, I looked under there news paper and there was a clutch of 3 eggs on the very top part of the cage. This is not there first time trying to have a clutch but I usually see them trying and I put a stop to it. So now they have a clutch I’m willing to let them hatch as long as they can do it from inside there cage. I’ve tried moving them into a cardboard box that was closed but had an entrance hole but they didn’t have any interest in it even when I put the eggs inside it they wouldn’t go near it. So my question is how do I move them and the eggs into the cage/nesting box.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is sort of an emergency so the quicker the response the better!!!!!!!!!
Alright. First, identify if they are properly fertilised or not. If you pick up an egg and put it under a light, you can see the insides and everything. If there are blood vessels and a solid middle, the eggs have growing chicks inside. Cockatiels are very territorial and will do anything to protect their nest. Try very carefully to move the eggs to a better place. If they don’t want to nest in the box, try putting them in around the same environment they originally chose their nest in. This will make them feel comfortable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. First, identify if they are properly fertilised or not. If you pick up an egg and put it under a light, you can see the insides and everything. If there are blood vessels and a solid middle, the eggs have growing chicks inside. Cockatiels are very territorial and will do anything to protect their nest. Try very carefully to move the eggs to a better place. If they don’t want to nest in the box, try putting them in around the same environment they originally chose their nest in. This will make them feel comfortable.
Well sadly I did that and no matter what I tried they refused to accept there new location. Does this mean they will lay more eggs? How long until the next clutch? I’m really wanting them to breed in a nesting box but the female is so stubborn she refuses to enter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts