Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I moved house on Saturday to an officially bird-friendly place (thank goodness). While the house is bigger, better and cheaper than our old one, one resident is not happy.

I often take my cockatiel, Piper away with me when I go places for two or so nights. Even in strange houses she will happily sit on someone's shoulder and acts like herself. I was sure the move wouldn't bother her.

She's been in our new house for four days now, but she's struggling to adjust. She's fine in my room - her cage is in a nice little cubby area so she doesn't have too much to distract her. However, whenever I leave the room she gets upset and starts flock calling like nothing else. If I take her out of her cage and have her sit on my shoulder, any TINY noise or movement (some seem like a mystery) she tries to take off. She's a clipped bird, so she just falls to the floor. I'm scared she's going to hurt herself!

I'm so perplexed, she's usually fine in strange places, but she does NOT like this new place - even with familiar people and familiar furniture.

Whenever I have to leave for uni or work I leave the radio on for her to try and keep her happy, but my flatmates are telling me she flock calls pretty much the entire time I'm gone until they cover her cage with her blanket.

Any tips to help get this little lady adjusted and happy in her new home??

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
It might not be the house itself, but the general disruption that goes along with the move.

How well does she get along with the other people in the house? She's probably flock calling because she feels insecure and wants the comfort of having her flock around her. If she's compatible with the others and there are no dangers (like cats running around), maybe you could move her cage so she can flock with them while you're gone.

·
Registered
283 Posts
She's probably flock calling so much because for now, you are the only familiar thing around her.

I hope she settles in soon!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts