Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every time I give buttercup a head scratch heaps if feathers come out. I just gave her a 10 second scratch and now I'm covered in feathers.. 12 feathers actually but they just fall off if u touch her. I assume she's moulting, she's about 4 months old, but this is way heavier than my other cockatiel went through. Also it's a bit early isn't it? I was never given an exact birthday but they said she was about 8 weeks when I got her so that would make her about 4 months now

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's what she lost whilst sitting with me for about 45 min. Is this a lot? It's more than my other one ever lost.

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can anyone help" she's also lost quite a bit of weight. She just doesn't seem interested in food when she's in her cage, like she won't go to her food and eat, but if I take her out and put her food with her she will eat heaps. Is she just agitated and grumpy so she's not eating as much on her own? Is it normal for them to lose weight during a molt? She seems healthy apart from the weight loss and molt. She's napping more and she's cranky but I know that's normal.
However she's not losing anywhere near the amount of feathers she was losing two days ago (on my last post). Now she's just losing a few here and there whilst before they were just falling everywhere all the time. She has patches of pin feathers now that are annoying her.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
None of her feathers look abnormal. Unless she is acting sick I don't think you need to worry, it is normal for them to be molting around that age. And I think she may just be doing a heavy molt to help get rid of some of her baby feathers. :) http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=19192

My 'tiel went through a phase like that. She didn't want to eat unless I was right next to her. I think it is the molt that is affecting your 'tiel and she wants some reassurance from you and because she is still young she wants attention. Molting makes 'tiels really grumpy and agitated, it also affects how much they eat. Molting doesn't feel good at all, and it uses up a lot of their energy replacing feathers. So it is normal for them to lose some weight during a molt, but not a lot of weight. Molting is one of those times where you really have to watch their weight because the stress of molting can bring out a lot of illnesses. If her weight goes down a lot or her keel feels very sharp she could be sick.

I hope those pin feathers stop bugging her soon. Those are the worst. Maybe try giving her a little mist bath and see if that will help those itchy pin feathers. :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you kiwi, she's lost a fair bit. She was about 101-102g before and now she's 96g.. Is that enough to be worried? She really seems fine otherwise apart from the napping which is pretty normal during molts anyway. She was actually a bit chubby before so she's probably not too skinny but I'm worried nonetheless. 6g loss just seems like a lot to lose in a week!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'd say that you should watch her closely and maybe try to stimulate her appetite with some millet or her favorite foods. Unless she is showing symptoms like sneezing, you hear clicking noises when she's breathing, or anything that is not associated with a normal molt... then I think it is just she is new to molting right now. It's kind of like cockatiel PMS, they do not feel good at all... xD

If she loses any more weight than that I would be worried, but you said she was too heavy before. Maybe it's just a bit of her baby weight and she's shedding it in the molt. Giving her millet and seeds with more fat in them like almonds and sunflower might help put a little more weight on her right now. But if she loses more weight than this you might want to think about seeing a vet just in case. :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you , I've been real worried. Today I gave her a honey stick and millet and she stuffed her face so I'm hoping that she will have gained some weight tomorrow when I weigh her.
I can't give her nuts as I'm highly allergic (like death kind of allergic haha) so there is none in my house but I'll be sure to give her sunflower seeds:) do you know how long molts usually last the first time around? It's been a week already and I'm really just hoping it's over soon! Her wings were cut so short as well so I'm terrified she's going to bust up all her new wing feathers when they grow in because they'll be so unprotected. Any advice on preventing that?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think it should last about a month or a little longer. They have a lot of feathers! xD

I hope she gains a bit more weight soon. That's a good idea with the honey stick. The sunflower seeds have a very high fat content so they'll be plenty. :lol:

Usually the long wing feathers will protect the other feathers when they are coming in, but when they're cut so short like that they're so fragile. >.<
You can give her more calcium (better if there is a little magnesium with it) and protein to help strengthen the feathers, along with some Vitamin A. You have to try and prevent night frights and anything scaring her that will break the feathers. It is kind of a game of luck when it is like that, I had this problem with my 'tiel and her tail feathers. If they are easily frightened I've read some people put them in a fish tank (make sure they can breathe), or travel cage so they don't hurt themselves as much. I think a good feather supplement is your best bet to help grow those in quickly if she breaks them a lot to help grow them out as quickly as possible. Once the longer feathers come in it helps protect the shorter ones and keep more of the feathers from breaking.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's never had a night fright so I'm mOre concerned about when she flaps her wings and hangs upside down like a bat lol or when she attempts flight and crash lands cause she has nearly no wings at all. Worst clip I've EVER seen.
Yeah you're right I think it's just a game of chance, not much I can do except imping(?) but that's pretty expensive and they usually want to use anaesthetic don't they? I'm pretty against doing that if I can avoid it.. Oh well. Wish us luck! And thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thank you , I've been real worried. Today I gave her a honey stick and millet and she stuffed her face so I'm hoping that she will have gained some weight tomorrow when I weigh her.
I can't give her nuts as I'm highly allergic (like death kind of allergic haha) so there is none in my house but I'll be sure to give her sunflower seeds:) do you know how long molts usually last the first time around? It's been a week already and I'm really just hoping it's over soon! Her wings were cut so short as well so I'm terrified she's going to bust up all her new wing feathers when they grow in because they'll be so unprotected. Any advice on preventing that?
I don't know what's typical but I know Riley has been in his first molt since November and I am ready for it to be over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts