Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dooby is going through a horrendous moult at the moment, I thought it was bad enough a few weeks ago, but now I realise that that was just the start of it. I swear if he loses anymore feathers, I'll have enough to stuff a duvet. Anyway, my question is.....what are probiotics? I see in Bea's thread that she is going to give them to Bailee and Cookie and I just wondered whether it would be a good thing to give Dooby some. He is looking really scruffy at the moment, probably because of his moulting, other than that he seems to be fine.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Probiotics can't hurt him any, they just boost the good bacteria in an animals/persons system and they're usually given after a course of antibiotics. I got them from the vet once at $5 a capsule (with directions to open it and sprinkle the powder inside on their food) only to discover it is a human probiotic which can be bought from the chemist much cheaper. The type i get is Inner Health Plus, i would imagine there are other types though. I don't really think Dooby would need them unless he's been a little unwell.

Something you COULD do for him though, is make up a soothing aloe vera mist bath for him (even if he hates it, hehe, it's good for him). You would need to get some pure aloe vera juice from a pet shop with nothing added to it, and mix 3 parts water to 1 part aloe. It's really good for their feathers and skin, so it's great for moulting birdies! I should get some for Miss Gracie cause she's moulting REALLY heavily! I swear a feather falls off if i even look in her direction. :p

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bea, I'm off the pet store tomorrow, so I'll get some.

He hasn't been unwell, well at least he hasn't seemed unwell at all and his beak is still nice and strong!! I just thought maybe a boost of something might help him through his moulting. I'll go with the Aloe Vera though, that sounds like the best plan.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I should get some Aloe vera as well!!! it seems like I always have someone moulting over here :eek: Lee is moulting out his pearls right now and Finny is moulting big time I hear you on the duvet I could stuff one with all of Finnegans green feathers.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Dooby seems way too mature to be only 10 months old. :lol: I thought he was over a year old.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, we got him at the end of August last year and he was 11 weeks old then, so we've sort of made his birthday 13th June, so I've got my dates wrong, he's not 10 months old today, he is already 10 months old lol.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Spike with be one on May 1st, I had to make up his birthday as well. I think he was 10 weeks old when I got him. Bandit my dogs birthday is June 12th :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts