Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
Earl my cockatiel is starting to molt, he has lost 2 big tail feathers, and a number of small feathers. Is there anything to worry about?
And it would be great if you could tell me if there is any foods that I could give him?? :D

Thanks To Every Reply In Advance:)

SOPHIA :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Moulting is perfectly normal, so there's nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on Earl to make sure he is ok. Also a website I went on said that they need extra vitamin and mineral supplements if they are on an all-seed diet, so make sure he's getting what he needs in those cases. Apart from that, give him extra baths or showers because it helps them with the itchy new feathers and stops dust collecting so much. Hope this helps, Tia.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Perfectly normal nothing you should be worried about Sophia, I would give Earl some mistings with a spray bottle I am sure s/he ;) will appreciate it as far as vitamin and mineral supplements they don't need them just make sure he is getting enough veggies and healthy food and he will get all he needs that way ;)
One good thing about Earl moulting is we will know for sure if he is a Earl or a Pearl :p

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL!! Yes we will no what sex s/he is when Earl moults. I will post some pics once Earl has fully moulted. But even if he Earl does turn out to be a girl I just couldn't change Earl's name now:D

Any more advice will be welcome:D
Thanks Laura

How long do they moult for ??

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I know you couldn't change Earl's name how unique would Earl be for a girl :D I would leave it to after all this time it would be hard to start saying anything other then Earl, thats how I ended up with Georgie thought she might be a male but she ended up being a girl we just stuck with the name, and who knows Earl might just end up being a male...lol molting usually lasts anywhere from 4-6 weeks
here is a good article I found on it ;)
http://www.cockatiels.org/articles/care/molting.html

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Nothing to worry about with the molting at all. Get use to all the feathers, puff and dust flying around..lol

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I try to mist my guys more often when they moult, more to save myself though. The dust that comes off them is incredible!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the coments everyone :D Very helpful information :) And thanks Laura for the website :D

More advice welcome :D

Sophia ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts