Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I thought at first that my bird was going through a heavy molt but now I am starting to think that something else might be going on. He has been losing feathers for about 6 weeks now, some proper long flight feathers too, but in addition now he seems to be itching a lot, and a little twitchy like something is pestering him? Could this be just his feathers growing back, or could it be something else?

We are going to the vets tomorrow (July 7th) and I just wanted to collect some ideas/thoughts based from other experienced bird owners before I go.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
If it's not from the moult, it could be mites or lice. Or a skin condition. Best of luck with the visit to the vet's. :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
My girl buttercup went though a very heavy first moult that went on for about 6 weeks. She lost SO many feathers I was getting really concerned and her feathers looked all shaggy. She also scratched constantly and was very grumpy. Do you see any pin feathers? After 6 weeks of moulting, if that's what it is, you'd see quite a few. Buttercup was absolutely covered in them, she had bit patches on her neck that were just pin feathers and nothing else.

Remember when they go through moults they also more susceptible to illness so even if it is moulting there might be something else going on as well. Buttercup got an infection in this time because her body was already overwhelmed from the moult.

Good luck at the vets!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I can see some pin feathers, and there's quite a bit of keratin knocking about when he hops around. He seems okay in himself (still cuddly and friendly) although he is much quieter than normal and not so chatty and chirpy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vets today

Vets today, can't see any sign of parasites or skin legions indicating any. Vets sees lots of dander and keratin - probably the moult. I'll keep an eye on him. Any things I can give him to help him through this? Must be available in the UK as that is where I am based.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts