Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys.

Our cockatiels Martin & Mia have been breeding exaggeratedly these last months. They gave birth to two different litters (of three birds each) in the last 4 or 5 months, and we think they are going to breed again soon. But well, that's another problem.

One of the children of the last litter, one-month-old Luis, has a very weird motor problem. It started two weeks ago with him sleeping like this in the cage:

At first, I thought it was normal, since he was able to walk and even pick seeds without problems (limping a little bit) and, well, he was still a baby.

But! today things got worst. My parents use to leave the doors of the cages open in the morning so that our cockatiels (10 in total) can get out. They usually plunge into the ground and walk freely in our small yard. The height of the cages is approximately 4 or 5 feet...

What they told me, and I'm not sure of this, is that Luis plunged for the first time with his brothers. He was in the yard, and when we returned him to the cage, he wasn't capable of walking at all. He just doesn't move. He is able to pick a few seeds within his grasp. His parents fed him. He moves his head. But he is unable to walk or move his body, and the only thing he does now is sleep, like in the picture. I reckon that he is balancing his body a little bit to the right. Also, I put him on my finger and he was able to stand with relative stability.

This is him today. As you can see, he is unable to move his lower limbs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO0EM360Ghc

Well, obviously the answer is to take him to a vet as soon as possible. But the thing is, last time we took a bird to the vet it costed us around 60 USD, and it was useless since the bird died (my beloved Tweak, I should make a post about her in the Rainbow Bridge). Veterinary healthcare is really expensive in my city.

Any advice? :pearl:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm just going to go ahead and say that if I was in your situation, I would take the bird to the vet to be humanely euthanised, he doesn't seem to be having the best of times and I think (my opinion) that's no life for a bird.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Aww, that is so sad. Yes, vet care is very expensive, but it's worth it. I'm afraid the vet will probably say that he needs to be euthanised. :(

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Unfortunately, I also think a vet would most likely say to put them down unless you really insisted on treatment then they may prescribe an antibiotic to try and see if it worked.

If it is not an injury or genetic problem... it could be caused by a virus/bacteria or a deficiency is what I'm thinking. He could have gotten a bacteria or virus from eating something out in the yard like decaying vegetation or insects on the ground. If it is a virus they can't really do much, but a bacteria can be cured with antibiotics.

Does he eat the same amount of food as his siblings? There is something called Cockatiel Paralysis Syndrome caused by a Vitamin E and Selenium deficiency. It is a sudden onset of paralysis in the legs of Cockatiels. They can still eat, drink, and appear healthy except for the legs. You might want to try antibiotics to try and kill bacteria if it is there and supplementing with vitamin E and selenium. In combination with those two I would also try to give him some more calcium and vitamin D(sunlight) along with foods with vitamin B1 in them too just in case he is deficient in those.
http://www.birdkeepinginaustralia.com/spastic-leg-paralysis/
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/28.pdf

Edit: He could also have avian botulism. I re-read and saw that you said he got much worse today. I thought it was over the weeks so I ruled it out sorry. x3
So It could be that from bacteria in the yard or eating insects that contain the bacteria. If he did have that after 48 hours it should pass, but antibiotics greatly improve the survival rate. http://beautyofbirds.com/botulism.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts