Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( I'm so upset...I've been letting their wings grow out and Ziggy's getting in some new primaries but I looked at him today and both wing tips have blood feathers that have broken again. This seems like an endless journey with him...I don't know what to do anymore..I've been keeping him calm but he thinks he can fly now so he'll fly a couple of feet from his cage to me..etc. I've tried to stop him and he hasn't hit himself or anything but now he did it again. I don't know how he keeps managing to break new feathers..:( He's not bleeding now...Will he ever have nice clean feathers!

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Thats not good :( Hopefull he will get some nice strong feathers starting to grow in. Spike's one feather looks like it has a bit of new blood where he broke the blood feather. So I just put some paper towel on the bottom of his cage to make sure he does not bleed. Keep us updated. You could always ask your avian vet about it too. Good luck

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vet has nothing to say but make an appointment to come in and pull them. Which I did already before and can do myself. I think because his previous clip was so short he has nothing to protect the new feathers coming in and he keeps knocking them on things. I'm gonna watch him and see how it goes.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I think all he will need is one or two feathers to come through properly and they'll protect the rest. Hopefully he'll manage to get at least a couple for that to happen. :)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope so..their wings are both growing out now but he's the only one with problems. I could smack those people at the petstore that clipped him so short...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Cookie has 6 blood feathers in a row on one wing at the moment. :eek: I am hoping that they don't have a night fright until they're grown out, because i think the result would be messy. >.<

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:eek:......I hope they don't too...that's what I'm afraid off...I've been watching him like a hawk (figure of speach..:rolleyes:) Everytime he tries to do flapies or anything I pick him up...I hope he molts soon or something...I'm tired of seeing him hurt.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I would not pull the new ones. I would just let them grow as long as they are not bleeding. Iam sure he will get better soon :) He has a good Mommy to look after him ;)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would not pull the new ones. I would just let them grow as long as they are not bleeding. Iam sure he will get better soon :) He has a good Mommy to look after him ;)

Yeah..I haven't..He's been so good I don't want to do that unless I MUST. They are broken and were bleeding but very very little and they haven't the last couple of days so lets hope he can manage to keep them that way until they grow out...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts