Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have probably seen my posts about traveling with my tiel over the past five years. She has now driven 20,000 miles to ~10 states with another 3,000 miles planned next month.

It is to the point she no longer cares about anything in or outside the car. Sleeping on the head rest going 80 MPH on the freeway with trucks, cars, birds, etc flying by? No problem. 800 miles in a day starting at 3 AM? No problem. Loud music (so I stay awake)? No problem. And her latest talent, helping me steer? No problem.

The moral of this story is you can take your bird with you if you plan ahead and are careful. I am to the point that my heart jumps every time a passenger rolls down the window in my car even when Corona is safe at home. So just be careful, start with hanging out in a parked car, then do some short trips, and then go for it. It'll be easy in no time. If anyone is thinking of traveling with their tiel, feel free to contact me. I can answer any questions and have a ton of tips on how to make it work.

And, of course, don't follow my example by taking pics while driving. (I had no other way to document it though)

·
Registered
786 Posts
We RV a lot, and both the birds go along too. They love to travel and see all the new sights :) Go far my friend LOL...

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's awesome that you can travel with your tiel. I love the second photo :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh I wish I had a car! I'm going to have to leave Murray again in December because I have to attend a family get together :( If I had a car I know she'd be fine. She does so well whenever we've had lifts from people in the past. It's really nice to see your experiences up here :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Wow! That's amazing :D I'm 99% sure that if I tried that with my 'tiels they would fly into the windscreen :( even Sophie, and she's pretty chill haha.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
It is so exciting to see tiels happy to travel. Joey has only been on two trips, when he moved in with us, and when we moved to a new place. He wasn't happy either time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Awesome! My Phoenix loves car rides too, though he doesn't have nearly the experience Corona does :lol:

This is from last weekend!

·
Banned
820 Posts
Some of you have probably seen my posts about traveling with my tiel over the past five years. She has now driven 20,000 miles to ~10 states with another 3,000 miles planned next month.

It is to the point she no longer cares about anything in or outside the car. Sleeping on the head rest going 80 MPH on the freeway with trucks, cars, birds, etc flying by? No problem. 800 miles in a day starting at 3 AM? No problem. Loud music (so I stay awake)? No problem. And her latest talent, helping me steer? No problem.

The moral of this story is you can take your bird with you if you plan ahead and are careful. I am to the point that my heart jumps every time a passenger rolls down the window in my car even when Corona is safe at home. So just be careful, start with hanging out in a parked car, then do some short trips, and then go for it. It'll be easy in no time. If anyone is thinking of traveling with their tiel, feel free to contact me. I can answer any questions and have a ton of tips on how to make it work.

And, of course, don't follow my example by taking pics while driving. (I had no other way to document it though)

So Cool.
Great to see nobody did any bashing.
Some freak at the idea of having a bird loose in a moving vehicle. I have been through a few check points and the response has been good, seeing a bird in the car with me.

I take birds everywhere as well.
Not any of my current Tiels though.
Dexter was my buddy over the last three years, and I reckon we clocked up 30,000kms. Same as with you. Most things did not faze him. Except Big Lorries if they were real close. Then he would go AHHHH!
Longest run we did was 800ks round trip to get Sophie. 10hr on road at speeds upto 140ks. Scarlet was her name but I changed it to Sophie. She was a 12mt old Aviary breed parent raised girl who her owner wanted to move on as her man did not get along with Sophie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDoV114WxqA

·
Registered
225 Posts

Hi
That's mad lol.
Ours travels with us but in his holiday cage.
I've often thought of trying this when my partner is driving so I can keep an eye on the bird.
I think what scares me most is if he flutters onto the floor if he gets a bit spooked and ends up under the driver's feet. Do you put anything in place to stop this happening?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

J

·
0 Posts
I just did a 4 hour drive with my tiel yesterday. He loves it in the car... he's so used to traveling around its become second nature to him ;) He usually sings just a tiny bit but mostly sleeps or preens himself. He likes seeing out the window.

My tiel is fully flighted and always has his flightsuit on when not at home but it makes me worried if I have to hit the brake hard for whatever reason worried my tiel might end up flying into the windshield. My tiel is only allowed in one spot in the car.... I don't allow him to be sitting wherever in the car. The funny thing is he NEVER even tries to move... it's almost as if he knows he's not supposed to and stays put in his spot. He is very well behaved in the car... at home he is all over the place!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi
That's mad lol.
Ours travels with us but in his holiday cage.
I've often thought of trying this when my partner is driving so I can keep an eye on the bird.
I think what scares me most is if he flutters onto the floor if he gets a bit spooked and ends up under the driver's feet. Do you put anything in place to stop this happening?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
No, she has full access inside the car, but really only wants to be on top of the driver's headrest. I started getting her comfortable by letting her explore inside the car while in the garage before taking the first trip.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Wow! That is one well traveled bird :D My guys are sorta (kinda...) versed in travels on the bus. It's amusing seeing them chirp and everyone on the bus looks around for the bird, heeheee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts