Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight, as a belated birthday gift, we picked up two new cockatiels. They're named Watson and Holmes. Pretty Sure Watson is a hen though. They are supposedly around 2 years old. Once settled, Holmes started singing non-stop to Demon and Birdy in the other cage. He sings some rather odd noises, mimic a local wild bird call, and gives wolf whistles.

They're fully flighted, and while not afraid of people, are also not hand tame.

I can't post pictures of the two right now but plan on posting some later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having to wait on the pictures for a bit. I still don't have a camera at the moment.

How do you handle bird on bird aggression? Holmes does just fine with Watson, but I let them all out of their cages to socialize earlier and Holmes went after my other two. He bit Birdy so hard she bled. When they are in their separate cages he sings to them and happily chatters with them but outside the cages is totally different.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is Watson and Holmes.

They're not in the best condition. They were dumped at a vet's office and I believe were neglected. They suffer quite a bit in vitamin deficiencies I know and are quite smelly. Hoping a bath will help with the smell. They're extremely fearful and aggressive birds, and seem to have no idea as to what to do outside of their cage.

They're lighter in color than Demon by quite a bit, and Watson (the pied) seems to have a hint of brown in her grey.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would let them settle in for a few days before allowing out of cage time especially if they are not used to it. Do they not need to be quarantined from other birds?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
They are both beautiful, congrats on your new babies, it's great that you were able to give them a new loving home :)

I wouldn't be letting them out of their cage yet, or letting them interact with your other birds (quarantining them would have been ideal). Once they settle in (it can take a few weeks), their aggression should tone down a bit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't think quarantining was needed since the vet checked them out and gave them the a-ok on diseases and blood work. if you still think its a good idea i'll move them.

I'll be sure not to let them back out for a bit until they're settled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts