Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
More poop... :/ UPDATE: pg. 4

After 2-3 weeks of multiple hormone reduction techniques, Missy's hormonal..."activities", shall we say, have finally come to a halt it seems! No more *cough* making love to her perch *cough*, no huge poops, etc etc.

BUT, I have a new question about her poop from today. This one was from just a few minutes ago, and I'd never seen one like this, so it scared me. :s

Her droppings in the cage I see from during the night look totally normal and are solid. She had done some flying but that was earlier this morning, during her morning lap around the room. It's now 4:30pm. She has had a slight change in diet as I've been adding a small bit of a new seed mix and mixing it in her current mix, as well as starting a slow transition from ZuPreem pellets over to Harrison's.
She did not have any veggies or sprouts this morning or yesterday morning.

This is the dropping from right before the really weird looking one:

This one was after it (seed hull was not a part of it):

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's fine, that's one of the normal variations of watery poop. I'd only worry if it stays like that consistently for more than a few hours.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's fine, that's one of the normal variations of watery poop. I'd only worry if it stays like that consistently for more than a few hours.
Thank you! ;v; I'll keep an eye on her!
It was so odd-looking, I had to take a photo and ask. :'D

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
It reminds me of a baby alien encased in a see-through egg, too. I'd be worried if I saw a poop like that, too. Hormones can definitely make their poops change rapidly! When Honey was laying she did some pretty horrendous looking droppings. :p

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hormones can definitely make their poops change rapidly! When Honey was laying she did some pretty horrendous looking droppings. :p
Joey has had some odd looking poos lately No baby aliens, of course, but some odd ones. I was hoping it was all down to hormones. Things seemed to get a lot better when he got over the worst of his need to do unnatural things to his food dish perch. He's now just grump and demanding attention and screechy, and his poop seems to be back to normal.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"What has been seen cannot be unseen." XD I now see it as a baby alien. :'D

Her poops are not as watery but still pretty loose. :/

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I feel like I'm just being so obsessed over a few droppings, but I'm debating if I should set up an appointment for an exam - for peace of mind, if anything.

Or, I didn't think of this until now, email the photos to her vet and see if he thinks an appointment should be in order.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I emailed him. :) He's usually pretty fast in responding so I should have news from him, possibly tomorrow morning.

Also, if anyone is interested, here are the larger version of a couple of the above photos. I've been looking at it more closely, and I'm seeing bubbles and stringy urates; both of which from what I've read can mean something's up. >__<

I haven't seen any more bubbles today, thankfully.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Honey and Henry tend to have stringy urates too. I'm interested to know what your vet thinks about Missy's poops.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Response from the vet:
The issue with these droppings is the amount of clear fluid. This is urine. It is more than what should be present. It indicates that some blood work needs to be done to check liver funciton, kidney function, and check for diabetes. I am sorry to say that I will not be available to help with this until the end of next week and that is too long. [...] <The next portion of the email is him directing me to one of the other avian vets in town.>

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's good that he responded so quickly! I would bet money that the bloodwork will come back normal, but I agree that if her poops have been that watery for more than a day, it probably should be checked out.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I love her vet. :) I even switched my dog over to him as well, because as much as I liked Dixie's vet, his staff was constantly screwing things up or very rude.

Looks like some bloodwork is in order for the little gal, then! ;v; I'll try to set an appointment for tomorrow, if possible. Lucky I work closings nearly all this week!

I hope you're right! For curiosity's sake, if it turned out to be diabetes, what are some things that could be done for her? (I'm sure Dr. Kilbane will tell me, but I'd like to be prepared a little bit!)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think diabetes in birds is usually managed by diet, and maybe oral medications. It's different from diabetes in humans -- in humans diabetes is caused by a deficit of insulin, but in birds it's usually caused by over-production of hormones that increase blood glucose. So the treatment regimen is different than it is for humans too. (I haven't looked at this in a few years, so I don't remember specifics, sorry.)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Murray is hormonal right now, and it's typical for her to do ones like this - especially in the first half of the day before lunchtime, for some reason...

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think diabetes in birds is usually managed by diet, and maybe oral medications. It's different from diabetes in humans -- in humans diabetes is caused by a deficit of insulin, but in birds it's usually caused by over-production of hormones that increase blood glucose. So the treatment regimen is different than it is for humans too. (I haven't looked at this in a few years, so I don't remember specifics, sorry.)
Thanks just the same! I'll probably ask the vet anyway. :)

Murray is hormonal right now, and it's typical for her to do ones like this - especially in the first half of the day before lunchtime, for some reason...
Missy just got over her raging hormones, so there's a possibility it could be something like that, I suppose.

- - - - -

Missy has an appointment for tomorrow morning at 10:30am.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts