Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I joined this forum to learn more about cockatiels as I acquired my first this past Wednesday. I have read where some take the bird in the shower, while others set out bowls with water with or with out lettuce and then others have an in cage bath. What I'm wondering is when to begin the bathing. My tiel is approx. 3 months old. He seems to love me already and hops up on my hand by choice. Although today is the first day he has seemed really comfortable. Is it too soon to approach the bathing situation or should I give him more time to become acclimated to his new home? Thanks for any advice in advance!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I bought a spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle which i use to gently mist spray/shower my cockatiel while he's in his cage.

If you decide to do this with your bird, first remove any food from the cage to prevent it getting wet and then spray near, but not on your bird to see how they react. Some will be wary, some will jump right in, and mine is a downright poser and sticks his wings out so i can get underneath :p I don't think it's too early for you to give it a try with your bird.

After a few times of doing this, give your bird a light misting with it. Some birds don't like showers though, and some don't like baths. Mine won't use a bath but loves an in-cage shower.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I would wait, too, then try with a spray from a water bottle. Then from there it would be safe to try the shower.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I would try the mist first..or offer a shallow dish of water and see if they try that out. I've had 2 birds who will bathe themselves, but most of mine like the mister.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'd wait a few days, see if misting or bowl of water will work first.

Meantime work on getting it truly comfortable sitting on your hand.
Then you might practice moving from where the cage is to your bathroom.

Take everything slow and easy, lights on ahead of time, shower curtain pulled back ahead of time, etc. Anything that might cause your bird to panic and fly should be avoided if at all possible.

I had Cara in the shower after a week, but you don't want anything to happen that will cause your bird to be afraid or have a bad experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice. He seems very tame and will sit on my sloulder. I will take evryones advice.
Thanks everyone!:tiel5:

·
Registered
593 Posts
The only other thing I could think of Robyn is that when moving a bird from safe territory to unsafe (in my case, cats) I like to have them on my finger, and right up close to my face. The idea being to make it hard for them to get their wings out with room for a strong beat for liftoff.

It is not 100% by any means, but I do feel I have more control than on my shoulder for example.

A bird on your shoulder means that any scare or fright and you have a bird crashing into things. Birds can get scared of the darnedest things.

Also on your finger you can feel them tense prior to making any move if your paying attention.

Last I do think that showering with your bird is a bond and trust building activity that is fairly easy to work into a twice/3 times a week routine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today Bobby and and I tried the shower. We had already spent a good bit of time together after I came home from work. We had free flying time (he came to me with clipped wings, but they have grown to where he can glide to a nice landing). Then we had whistling lessons. And then just a quiet time.
I took him to see the shower and sat him on the toilet lid that has a nice cover where he wouldn't feel like he was sliding. I turned the water on slowly and set it to a fine mist and allowed it to warm some while he watched with the door open. The shower is very large and has a seat in it so I put a towel on the seat and he sat on it watching. I also put a thick one on the floor in case things went awry. I talked to him in a soft voice. He got on my arm and instead of just dousing him with water I let him catch the mist. Surprisingly he liked it! I turned him this way and that so he could get a little more and he never shyed away. I didn't overdo I wanted it to end with a good experience, he wasn't soaked but was wet. I had bumped the air conditioner up so he wouldn't chill. Still we stayed in there awhile afterward so he could dry some. He seemed to like me drying him gently with a dry wash cloth and lifted his wings slightly so I could get under them. After I felt safe that he was mostly dry I put him in his cage with a large towel over it so he wouldn't chill I can't tell you how proud I am of Baby Bobby doing so well. He is so trusting and I don't want to do anything to break his trust. :love:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
That's fantastic! He'll be a water baby in no time :D

·
Registered
574 Posts
My tiel loves to shower too. The first time he did it, I was taking my shower, he was sitting on top of the shower wall and he flew onto my head. I put him on my finger and he was so happy to get wet in the mist. He'd spread his wings and rub his little face under them. So cute!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts