Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my cockatiel, named Nugget, since he was 10 days old. He was handfed and had no problems during feeding until he reached 3 weeks. He started eating less so I sent him to the vet for a check up. Note, in my country there are little to no Avian vets available so I did all my research online until today where I lost hope. The vet said he has an infection in one of his airsacs so she gave me antibacterial medicine for Nugget to take for a week. I forgot to mention he is a stunted chick and right now he weighs 55-60 grams at 4 weeks. Ever since he started taking his meds, he absolutely refuses to eat his formula. he's lost weight too, from 75g to 60g. I read at his age it's normal for him to lose baby fats for his first flight but I'm really concerned as his keelbone is very prominent. I bought this brand of parakeet food that becomes mushy if wet and he still won't eat. It pains me that I'm now force feeding him formula just so he'd have something in his crop. I'm at lost guys and I dont want to give up on him. What can be done in this situation? I consulted a vet friend and he told me force feeding is the way but Nugget just pukes it out. I'm feeding him every 4 hours as I fear he'd lose too much weight if I stick with the 7am-5pm-11pm routine.

· Registered
76 Posts
Hi Sabviee! I'm so sorry about what's happening to Nugget. I highly recommend force-feeding this (UK site)/(US site) product to your baby. It is formulated for sick/stressed birds and birds that are not eating voluntarily. I've used it a couple of times before and it helps. Another thing you could do is to mix pure coconut water (no sugar added) from the grocery store into the formula you're feeding him with instead of water. Sorry I can't help much more. It's a tricky situation. Do keep us updated, I'm rooting for you guys. :/

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, sorry it took me a while to reply. Nugget is doing a whole lot better. Apparently, starving him for a whole day got him to eat his formula again. He's lost a lot of weight though due to his medication. He's also close to being weaned now and I couldnt be any happier.

· Registered
7,968 Posts
Hi there, so sorry to hear about little Nugget's struggles! I'm glad he's improving, you're doing such a great job raising him. I hope he continues to improve. Medication can be so hard on them but ultimately it should help him in his progress once the course is up. Please keep us updated on how he's doing and best of luck with Nugget.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.