Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mama tiel has only one baby. He's 18 days old. He's growing yell and starting to explore but recently I've noticed him hanging out around the edges of the nest away from mom. (dad bird isn't involved)

The nest is a cube drawer I have. Mama is inside sitting on 3 infertile eggs and feeding her baby. Now she's plucking him.

I have an option to put them back in her cage with the baby in a shallow box on the bottom so he is warm. I have a daylight bulb that emits heat for them so he can stay warm if she's not sitting with him but Im afraid if I move them she'll stop feeding him.

I have no problem hand feeding other than I work 8 hrs a day and I can't let him go 8 hrs during the day AND night without feeding SOOOO I'll have to feed him at night to make up for my day time absence.

Please give me some advice. Im lost. I don't want him to develop issues from the plucking or for him to abandon him.

Please help. 馃槥

Registered
moderate plucking wont do any damage to the baby whatsoever. He/she will regrow those feathers in abt a month. She may be plucking the baby to motivate him to leave the nest (getting ready for new arrival-infertile eggs she is sitting on) Make sure her sodium intake is adequate- I do give my birds ''all natural'' sea-salt in crystals-offer them a small plate with it. If plucking is sodium related-it may help. Dont feed at night! Crop needs to completely empty by morning

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
moderate plucking wont do any damage to the baby whatsoever. He/she will regrow those feathers in abt a month. She may be plucking the baby to motivate him to leave the nest (getting ready for new arrival-infertile eggs she is sitting on) Make sure her sodium intake is adequate- I do give my birds ''all natural'' sea-salt in crystals-offer them a small plate with it. If plucking is sodium related-it may help. Dont feed at night! Crop needs to completely empty by morning
Should ai just keep them together? Im so @#&*&# scared to lose this baby. I. Want to cry. I'm afraid she won't feed him while I'm at work and he'll starve.

Registered
Your baby is already quite old. He/she will survive for a few hours without food.. If-when you do return from work you would find an empty crop,then yes,it will be point for concern and immediate action..but if crop is full, by ,lets say,6 pm..then no worries.. If you really so worried-may be get a baby monitor with images or videos send to smartphone? Then you will know and see her feeding..

Registered
How bad is the plucking and is the baby screaming in pain while she is doing it? You could perhaps remove her infertile eggs and hope that she keeps feeding him or you could relocate mum and baby but then you risk her abandoning the baby. Have you hand fed before? Regardless of whatever you decide to do I think you should stock up on some hand feeding supplies and read up on how to hand feed/watch tutorial videos in case you end up having to raise him yourself.

I hope someone with more experience regarding breeding can advise you. Please keep us updated!

Premium Member
Honestly, if she's still feeding him right now she's not gonna stop if you don't move them. Leave them where they are. Moving them can almost guarantee she will abandon him. Just let her do her thing. She's done it this far, just let her finish. Plucking at this age is normal because she's trying to get him to fledge from the nest. He will be fine and the feathers will grow back.

Premium Member
An empty crop after night time is normal. You want it to fully empty every night. Babies at this age do lose weight because they are getting ready to fly. You can co-feed, give him food in the morning before she does and at night before bed and see if that doesn't help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's basically what I've been doing, or trying to do. He's 21 days old now. I'm mainly nervous about him going 8 hrs during the day with no food while I'm at work. I wake up, fees him while she comes out to eat for herself. I'll coax her to feed him but she doesn't seem to feed him much. If he goes 8hrs two times in a 24 hr period without food will this kill him or just stunt his growth for a bit? I'm definitely doing all that I can to make sure my little guy makes it. I'm following a growth chart. He was ahead in grams but now hes slightly under based on what the chart says for a 20 day old baby.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Enpty crop at 9am. Still weighed in at 67g. Fed him 7cc of formula. Back in the box with mom. Mom is picking his feathers in or out of box. Im going to get her a salt chew from the pet store. Will feed again around 2pm if mom hasn't already and if crop is empty.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An empty crop after night time is normal. You want it to fully empty every night. Babies at this age do lose weight because they are getting ready to fly. You can co-feed, give him food in the morning before she does and at night before bed and see if that doesn't help.
Do you have any advice on what to do during the day while Im gona and he's not being fed? Someone please help.

I don't want him to die. Im doing all i can.

Premium Member
I thought you said she was still feeding him? Is she not feeding him any more?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She's really not feeding him hardly anymore. She'll go to him and give him a tiny bit but then she'll start to pull his feathers out anywhere she can and he is screaming and trying to get away. There's been a few times now that I've had to put him in front of her face and coax her to feed him but then she will immediately start going for his feathers. She has always plucked out her own feathers along her shoulders so I don't know if now she figures she can pick at him instead. The main thing I'm worried about is her not feeding him while I'm at work for 8 hours each day

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The baby is at an age now where he can at least go 5 hours between each feed but pushing him to go 8 hours once a day seems like it may cause him some deficiencies or eventually death. I don't know I need help and advise

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've completely taken his away from mom. She ripped so many bald patches into him while I was at work today and didn't feed him. I'm going to completely hand feed now.

He's 23 days old and I'm going to have to change his down time schedule. (his long night time hrs to empty the crop)

I plan to make sure that he will get his food at the appropriate amount of time for his crop to clear which will be around 3 to 4am. I will feed him on this new night schedule while during my 8 hr work days he can go through his empty crop time.

I can't see any other way to ensure his health and survival. He can't go through 2 separate 8hr periods with no food. He's losing weight and I won't let him die.

Im not sure what the difference between day or night empty crop time would matter as long as he's getting his empty crop time. I don't mind cutting into my sleep as long as I can get him to 5 weeks old where he can better deal with longer periods of no food.

Mom and dad are totally out of the picture now. I can't have mom mutilating him. He screams. His skin is red and sore.

Let me know what you think of my schedule switch. I'm absolutely making sure his crop is always empty before feeding.

Registered
I ve found out that even if you keep bright light in a room all night,cockatiels still consider this ''night time" and thats when they sleep most.. So I wouldnt go against nature and night feed. Is there any chance to take him to work with you? In a small shoebox? I know some jobs may not be accomodating..But I do take some ''problem'' chicks with me sometimes..warming them water for formula at local 7-eleven.. If I really have to..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately I don't have that option. I work at a salon and there's no way my boss would let me and unfortunately my drive is too far to take care of him on my 30 min break.

I fed him at 4:30am and then again at 9:30 when his crop was empty. He'll get one last feed at 1: ish before I leave for work. He'll have my 8 hr shift to empty out his crop and be ready for his next feed at 9:30 pm. I've got him in my room where its warm and quiet and safe with.

When I weighed him at 4am this morning he was 72g. 3 days ago he was 78 bit dropped 10 when mom started picking out his feathers. I don't like having to change up his day and night schedule for 2 weeks but I feel that he's more likely to survive than going a total of 16 hrs a day without food.

He's definitely more active now tho, scooting around, cleaning himself and flapping his wings. Im monitoring him VERY closely. He's also eating great and so far no crop issues.

Thank you for the help. Please keep me on my toes with any new information!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.