Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I joined this forum many months ago and have been reading alot of posts but have not been posting myself. I adopted a lutino cockatiel last August and he was a stray so I do not know his history. He has done partial molt since I had him, but this appears to be a full molt. I have done alot of reading about cockatiels but was wondering a few things about molting. Is it usual for them to have such a raggady appearance, He seems to have gone through most of the loosing of feathers and he definitely has alot pin feathers coming in, I know that that can be itching so I am sure to give him his daily baths, however he loves scritches and I can feel the pin feathers and it sometimes seems as if it is painful for him. If I am lightly scritching him around his head and he has pin feathers can that actually be painful for him. I hesitate to do it but he loves his scritches and keeps putting his head into my hand to get them. He has had a few episodes of loose stool, perhaps one or sometimes two a day over the last week during the molt. I am wondering if this comes with molting or could it be due to stress, since I have reduced his out time slightly since I have read so much information about limiting their flight time during molting. I sometimes find it frustrating because there is so much cross information, so I feel as if I have to just make a judgement call. Sorry for rattling on.
Questions: Can pin feathers be painful?
Should I reduce out of cage time during molting
Could the molt or the stress of reduced out time account for occassionaly runny pooh.

Hope to hear some advice.

Cappone is a lovely loving bird and very cuddily so I don't want to stress him unneccessarily during his molt time. Other than baths what else should I be doing to ease his molt time.

thanks to all cathy

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Yes pin feathers can be itchy and uncomfortable, but I would keep giving him scritches. Sometimes when the pins are ready to open scritches will help remove the sheath on the pin feather. I would not reduce the out of cage time just because Cappone is molting. Molting can be stressfull but with any poop change just keep an eye on him. I would give him lots of veggies and good foods to help him during his molt. Iam sure everything will go great :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice which I will gladly take, I think the poop being runny on occassion is due to stress, I have reduced his out time and that I believe has stressed him, today he has been out and about as usual and is looking better and pooping better. Thanks so much, I think I simply love this little one so much I have a tendency to overthink situations. Especially knowing how well birds hide illness. Thank you for your advice and a very happy Cappone thanks you for life back to normal. cathy

Forget to mention Spike looks absolutely adorable

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You can try stroking his head in the direction of his feathers while he's moulting, that way you won't bump the pin feathers. :)

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Glad I could help :) I think Spike is adorable aswell :p Bea thats a good idea about stroking in the direction of the pin feathers. The less bumping them the better :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts