Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Echo's just begun his first molt so have some questions. Do the molts always happen at six months on the dot? by my calculations he's only five months...

So far it's just a few feathers here and there and he always has one in his mouth to play with. But I can definitely feel new spikey pin feathers coming out all over his body and he's absolutely desperate to be scratched all over.

So how long until his big feathers fall out? the flights and the tail feathers?

I'm also waiting for a disastrous wingclip done by his breeder to be grown out, so how long can I expect till he's able to fly again? at the moment theres no sign of molting on the wings....

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
First moults can happen earlier or later than 6 months, that's only a guideline. :D His big feathers won't all moult out in this moult, i always find that it takes at least 2-3 moults for a wing clip to regrow.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So up to eighteen months till he's up and flying again? poor guy he can't even glide, just plummets, and of course he jumps off things a lot because he forgets he cant fly LOL.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I don't think it will be that long. Dooby's flight feathers grew back quite quickly really. He's flying around again and it doesn't seem that long since he was clipped. He still hasn't got ALL his clipped feathers back, just the ones that matter for him to fly. So, it could well be 18 months before all the feathers come back again.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
He still hasn't got ALL his clipped feathers back, just the ones that matter for him to fly. So, it could well be 18 months before all the feathers come back again.
Yup, that's what i mean. Gracie is flying around quite happily with only a few of her clipped feathers grown back. Bailee JUST lost a clipped feather, and it has been AGES since i clipped him. :p

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Yes tiels definitely don't need all their flight feathers to be able to fly. I would give him some extra mistings to help with those itchy pin feathers :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yah we have been. All Echos primary and Secondary feathers are clipped, I've know idea why anyone would do that to a baby bird, but it sure is annoying.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My tiel is only 5 months old but I'm starting to see feathers getting littered everywhere in my room. He's starting to get scruffy looking.

And Avalon, once the feathers start growing it shouldn't take too long, I don't imagine. All of Sam's pulled blood feathers from his accident took only 4 weeks to come back.
________
Gang bang mature

1 - 8 of 8 Posts