Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Schubert had his wings clipped before we got him and my boyfriend and I talked it over and decided it was best to let his flights grow out and keep them unclipped.

Yesterday he molted out his first clipped flight feather and I'm a little worried because I've heard how difficult it can be to successfully grow in new flight feathers from breakage. Blood feathers are my biggest concern since Schubert is perfectly in the middle between the "clumsy baby bird" and "look ma, I'm swinging from one foot!" phases.

What can I do for my boy to minimize the struggle of growing in his flight feathers? I read in another thread about pulling out all his clipped flights, but I don't want to put him through that unless he's really having a problem with breaking feathers.

So far he's been good with not breaking tail feathers that grow in (he broke three of them before we got him and lost a few more in a fright a month after we had him, so his tail is sad looking), but he does like to flap is wings from time to time.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
648 Posts
If he's falling a lot then definitely put a big folded up towel at the bottom of his cage, under the paper, to soften his landings. Discourage flying whilst they are just starting to grow in, the force of supporting himself in the air by flapping his wings can break off delicate unprotected new feathers. Maybe lower his perches a bit too if he's still a clumsy baby flopping all over the cage. Remember to keep emergency blood feather supplies nearby and have your emergency avian vets number handy too, hopefully you won't need it but if he does break one and it is bleeding a fair amount don't hesitate. They only need to lose about 10 drops (an avain vet tells me) before they're in trouble. Hopefully I'm not just scaring you! It will probably be fine, I've had lots of blood feathers breaks and they usually just clot quickly without any assistance needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts