Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my first cockatiel for about 2 and a half months now (she was around 2 weeks old when I first got her). Problem is, I have little to no knowledge about bird behavior and I tend to freak out for every little thing she does. I named her Jess. I usually ask my friend (who just so happens to own a male cockatiel herself) whether she was acting normal or not and it never failed to reassure me. But lately I've been having doubts.

It started on April 1st. I've noticed a few feathers falling off of Jess and it continued today as well. She appears to be exhibiting normal behavior however. Often sleeps on one foot, eats regularly, will frequently scream for my attention and responds when I whistle back. I've also been keeping an eye on her when she preens and pulls out a feather, and she doesn't seem to be doing it excessively. None of the larger feathers have fallen out too. I was going to rule it out as molting, but then I read that cockatiels don't molt until they're six months old.

I am very confused and I can't help but feel anxious. Can someone please shed some light on this?

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
403 Posts
Relax, your bird is simply going thru the molting process where they lose old feathers and grow new ones. Everything else you mentioned sounds like a normal healthy cockatiel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Relax, your bird is simply going thru the molting process where they lose old feathers and grow new ones. Everything else you mentioned sounds like a normal healthy cockatiel.
I see. So it's normal for a 3 month old tiel to be doing this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts