Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had two cockatiels for about a year now - they're roughly around a year old at this point (male and female) and the female in particular has had a difficult molt it seems. She has had an abundance of blood feathers (last time we had a vet visit (July 2018) 12 were plucked) and since then she seemed to be alright until just recently- she has several more blood feathers (i notice that some of the flight feathers have had dried blood on them for the past few months) and she has some patches of skin visible on her wings as well - she is a lutino. she kind of holds her wings out from against her body frequently, im not sure if that is significant or a red flag of some sort? ive also recently noticed a small bump inside of her wing (googled cysts/tumors etc. but i wonder if it could be related to her other issues regarding molting) - it looks like it could be a feather coming in but maybe there was an issue causing a lump (remnicscent of an ingrown hair maybe)? Im planning on taking her to the vet regardless of the feedback I receive, however, any kind of insight into maintaining her health or molting tips/tricks, dietary supplements that could positively affect her are greatly appreciated. Thanks! :lutino:

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Is she having night frights? That's when a bird panics in the night and flaps around wildly in the cage trying to escape. It's very common for wing feathers to be knocked out during night frights. Cockatiels in general are very prone to freaking out if anything unusual happens during the night, and lutinos are even more prone to it because their night vision is poorer. Having a night light near the cage can help prevent night frights.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Night frights are scary for everyone, human and bird . My boy used to wake me up in the middle of the night with all his flapping around in his cage. Happened once every couple of months. Very scary to be woken up like that. LOL

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
My lutino, Honey, had the exact same problem for 5+ years. The culprit was repeated night frights which left her with almost no flight feathers and a lack of tail feathers that were always constantly growing back but getting knocked out again from clumsiness due to being so off-balance all the time and when she would try to fly and crash-land. She is very prone to losing feathers and molting made it so much worse, and it seemed the problem would never fix itself. With the help of a night-light, a high quality supplemented diet and trying to keep her as stress-free as possible, she is now blood-feather and night-fright free. She does have some damaged follicles from years of the same feathers being torn out so she is missing a couple of flight feathers on each wing that will never grow back but that doesn't seem to hinder her ability to fly.

What are you currently feeding her? For 'tiels with weak feathers and feather issues, diet is very important as they need the extra energy and vitamins/minerals to grow back strong feathers. There is an in-depth Sticky article on the best diet for cockatiels here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.