Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Billy went through a heavy molt in the Spring, I assume to get ready for the summer months here. This was around April. Now, it's late October and (i think) he is molting again! I have seen lots of feathers in the cage bottom, mostly downy feathers but some wing feathers too. I am 99% sure he is not plucking, since he doesn't cry. They fall out when he's grooming or shaking out.

So, my question is this: do 'tiels molt 2x a year? And is this normal for Billy? It's been only 1 year since I got him, and April was the first molt I witnessed (we got him last October).

Thanks for the replies in advance. From what I am hearing, it is supposed to be a colder than normal winter here this year (but the weathermen are hardly what I would call reliable) ;) Maybe this has something to do with it... :confused:

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Do you know how old Billy is?

They do normally molt 2-3 times a year, so I don't think it's anything to worry about. And just a heads up, they require more protein and calcium while molting.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhh... I see.

I think Billy is around 8-10 years old. Believe it or not, the family I got him from cannot remember :(

I will make sure more foods rich in protein and calcium are available...but he's so picky! what can I give him to tempt his appetite? :lol:

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
That's okay, I was just curious. He's still young and looks young too!

Here's a few things you can try:

Beet Greens
Broccoli Leaves
Broccoli Stem
Chard
Collards (cooked)
Dandelion Greens
Endive
Kale
Kohlrabi
Lettuce Dark Green Leaf
Mustard Greens