Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cockatiel Kirby came to me about a month ago, and is about 5 months old today. Kirby has been clipped and I have noticed that lately the feathers are changing and are growing back either without the spots or like a little faded ghosting of the spots. Is that normal? And also I think Kirby is going through a molt, do you think I am right? If so about how long do you think it will take the flight feathers to come back? I prefer the flight feathers be unclipped so I am excited for the feathers to come back.
Bird Beak Reptile Hood Feather

Feather Terrestrial plant Foil Bird Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that is normal. He is going through his first molt, but I'm not quite sure when his flight feathers will grow in. Just give it time. 😊 As for why the feathers with the spots are falling out is because he is a male. Male pearl cockatiels will lose their pearls when they go through their first molt.
Thanks! Will he lose them all (spots) eventually. I’ll miss them if so, it super cute but I’ll just make sure that I have plenty of pictures!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, unfortunately, he will lose all his pearls. It varies with each pearl male, but some will keep maybe a few pearls or ghost pearls, while most will lose all their pearls. That's the only unfortunate thing about having a male pearl cockatiel if you really like the mutation.
It's a shame but he will be gorgeous either way. I did notice that all the pearls on his chest are pretty much gone. He used to have them on his chest in yellow colors. They used to go even further down his chest than the first picture. I have been making sure he gets extra protein because I heard it’s good for molting birds and
giving him extra baths. I sprouted some seeds and he’s been eating a lot of those and some eggs here and there. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Bird Beak Organism Sharing Feather

1 - 5 of 5 Posts