Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... a boy!!

We went to the aviary that we got the birds from to get a couple leg bands for the birds. The guy asked me if I wanted him to sex them for me. I said yes of course. I knew he could tell from feeling the pelvic bones and that's what he did. Chiclets bones were open and Mojos were tight and sharp. I know this isn't 100% but he has over 4000 birds and I always felt Mojo was a boy by HIS behaviour.

Now we just gotta get used to calling him he instead of she. Good this we didn't name him a girly name.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I don't want to burst your bubble I am not saying he is not a boy but its not accurate they have to be much older for that to be accurate yours are still young and growing so its impossible to tell at this point, didn't he tell you what the parents where if what he told you is correct there is no way mojo could be a boy :) I tried that method on two of my young girls and they were both shaped differently the only accurate way is dna testing and even that can be wrong from time to time

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
It's possible. I have used the method before on my tiels and other people's birds before and there is a difference. It's not 100% but if Mojo's behavior is leaning towards boy then...well...you might have yourself a boy.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I have heard of it working sometimes with older birds but most breeders will tell you its not accurate on young birds and its not always accurate on older birds.
This is from the NCS:
Sexing by feeling the pelvic bones is generally held to be unreliable and potentially dangerous if done by an inexperienced person. Sexing in this manner generally is not accurate anyway until the bird reaches maturity and in the case of a female, has laid eggs previously.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I have heard of it working sometimes with older birds but most breeders will tell you its not accurate on young birds and its not always accurate on older birds.
This is from the NCS:
Sexing by feeling the pelvic bones is generally held to be unreliable and potentially dangerous if done by an inexperienced person. Sexing in this manner generally is not accurate anyway until the bird reaches maturity and in the case of a female, has laid eggs previously.
Well, Baby did lay eggs before so that might be why I was able to tell the difference easily.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Unless the mother bird was an ino there's no chance at all that either of them are boys - and i thought that wasn't the case, and that only the dad was ino/split ino?

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I guess you will know for sure if he is a boy if he never lays an egg. I had a feeling that Spike was a boy and I was right :D

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I guess you will know for sure if he is a boy if he never lays an egg. I had a feeling that Spike was a boy and I was right :D
There is no guessing with the white face lutinos they are sex linked so you can tell what they are by the parents and by there parents its not possible for one to be a boy

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
There is no guessing with the white face lutinos they are sex linked so you can tell what they are by the parents and by there parents its not possible for one to be a boy
That's what I was thinking too. I remember you saying that. How about just doing a dna test to settle this..lol

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I would do a dna test too. but if they are sexed linked you might not need too but mabey there are some hidden genes in the parents?. I did a dna test for Spike because I wanted to know 100% what he was.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I've read that doing the pelvic test can actually hurt the bird(s), because thier bones are so fragile it can do some major damage

and like already been stated dna is not 100% i've had a couple friends get thier Quaker parrots DNA tested one was told her's was a girl, and when it died (of a illness it had when she got it at 3 months of age) during the autoposy it was found out that her little "girl" was in deed a boy

Sugically sexing is really the only 100% sure fire way, because not all female's lay eggs either

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
mabey there are some hidden genes in the parents?.
with sex linked it is a 100%
when it comes to the sex linked mutations a female cannot be split to the mother must visually show the mutation and the father has to be either split to or visually show it so if the mother is not visually showing the mutation then all babies would be female :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
All in all, I say that DNA testing is the best treatment...or you can tell by how vibrant the yellow face and orange cheeks are...my Sunny acts like a male, but his markings are bland so he may be a female.:wacko:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
or you can tell by how vibrant the yellow face and orange cheeks are...my Sunny acts like a male, but his markings are bland so he may be a female.:wacko:
That's not always true with some mutations such as pied. Only in normal greys. Plus hers are white face lutinos (ALL WHITE) so there is no yellow or orange present anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts